Chapter 14

a/n: heyyyyyyyy guys! so i've started another eremin fanfic! it's called "Let's Go Home," and it's a tokyo ghoul au where basically armin gets turned into a half ghoul like kaneki did. then, it starts getting interesting. it currently has one chapter up, and if you enjoy tokyo ghoul, I would be super psyched if you read it! thank you guys!

It was the day. It was the day that Eren and Mikasa have been getting so excited for, trying to pull me into their happiness.

It didn't work.

It was my birthday. The day I turned 16. As I laid awake in bed, early morning sunlight pouring in through my window, I clenched my hands. I didn't want to remember. I wanted to forget.

It was my tenth birthday. My parents promised me that they would take me to see the ocean today, I'd never been, as it was nearly two hours away from our house, and my parents didn't have the time to spare. Needless to say, I was excited.

All three of us clambered into the car in the early morning. We had agreed that I could open my presents when we got there, and I was practically bouncing off the walls in excitement. We drove and drove, and it seemed like time was passing a million times slower than it usually did.

It's funny how much can change in 30 seconds.

My dad never saw the truck coming. One moment, my parents and I were laughing together, and the next, my parent's mangled remains were sprawled across the dashboard, the front of an 18-wheeler smashed through the driver's side of the car.

I was lucky. I got away with whiplash and a broken leg. My parents were killed instantly. That was when I started living with grandfather, and the abuse began.

I sat up in my bed, gasping for air. I clutched the blankets that covered me, tears streaming down my face. I cried silently, my chest heaving in small sobs.

What a great way to start my sweet 16.

Of course, this was the moment that Eren decided to enter my room, a shit-eating grin on his face. No doubt he'd planned on waking me up. However, when he saw that I was already awake, curled up and with tears on my cheeks, the smile melted away.

He walked over and sat next to me on the bed. "What's wrong?" He asked gently, wiping the tears away. I shook my head, tiny droplets still squeezing out of my eyes.

"M-mom and dad." I whimpered, my lower lip quivering. "Its been six years." I whispered, looking Eren in the eyes. "And I still remember it like it was yesterday."

"Armin, sweetheart, what happened?" He said gently, pulling me towards him.

"They're gone. They're not coming back. Ohgoderentheydiedandicantforgetitwhycantiforgetitidontwanttoremember." I cried, bowing my head, hot tears dripping down onto the blanket. I shook as sobs wracked my body, and I felt Eren wrap himself around me.

"Oh, Armin I'm so sorry. You deserve so much more than this." He rubbed my back, letting me cry into his chest. After a few minutes, I withdrew, wiping my eyes.

"We should get dressed." I sniffled, scooting out of Eren's grasp and off of the bed. I was wearing just a oversized, trashed sweatshirt with some underwear and my binder underneath it. The horrible wave of dysphoria that hit the week before had subsided somewhat, but I still refused to take my binder off (except for showers, of course).

So when I took my sweatshirt off, it didn't even cross my mind that Eren would ask why I already had my binder on. Obviously, he did. I told him I just forgot to take it off last night and I accidentally slept with it on. I didn't like lying to Eren, but it had to be done.