Chapter 10

a/n: I had written this entire chapter and then wattpad deleted it. I hate life. okay but forreal I finished Tokyo Ghoul and I have no soul anymore aight.

Eren's comforting arms wrapped around me, engulfing me in his warmth. I sobbed quietly into his chest, feeling like my lungs were on fire. I squeezed my alarms around him tighter, not ever wanting to let go. Unfortunately for me, the burning of my lungs frequented that. The horrible feeling creeped out through my chest and into every part of my body. Faintly, I heard Eren saying my name. The edges of my vision were tinted black, I couldn't move. I wasn't passed out, exactly, I was in a horrible limbo of pain and paralysis. I felt my body being lifted, the bobbing of a walk, and I heard my ragged breathing. After some time of this, I finally managed to escape this purgatory and slip into unconsciousness.

When my eyes fluttered open once again, I was lying in a familiar blue bedroom, staring at a familiar white ceiling.

"Oh thank god." I heard Eren's voice from beside me, to which I turned my head. As my gaze met his, I smiled. I already felt the pain coming back to me, this time feeling as though I'd been stabbed in every inch of my body. Although I was in extreme pain and my breathing was strained, I pushed myself into a sitting position.

"Hey." I whispered to Eren. "How long was I out for?" I continued.

"Just about a half hour." He responded, gently grasping my hands in his own. Even at this, I had to use all of my willpower to not to scream in agony, my injuries were so painful.

"I'm glad it wasn't too long, then." I loud-whispered back to him. He smiled.

"Yeah. Me too."

After a bit more small talk, Eren finally brought up the elephant in the room. "Armin, what happened?" He said.

I felt the blood drain out of my face and my stomach drop. "M-my grandfather came home. He w-was drunk, and he wanted to know where I'd been for the past few days. When I t-tried to explain, he-he got angry and did... this." I said, a tear dripping down my face. "I'm sorry I called you, I shouldn't have dragged you into this. I know I'm just a burden, I'll try to get out of your hair as soon as possible." I muttered.

"Armin, listen to me." He said forcefully, squeezing my hands. "Right now, you need some help. And that's okay. Because even the best of us need help sometimes, and it's nothing you should be ashamed of. I am so, so privileged to be the one who gets to help you." He looked me in the eyes as he finished, giving me a small, reassuring smile.

Of course, I started bawling like a baby, but that was okay. Well, it was okay until Eren hugged me. The moment his arms made contact with my back, I let out a whimper. I didn't mean to, it just slipped out. He immediately withdrew from the hug. I clenched my jaw, tears still rushing down my cheeks, as I tried to control my labored breathing.

"How bad is the pain?" He asked, obviously extremely concerned.

"Bad." I whispered back, balling my hands into fists.

He stood up from his seat next to me and said hurriedly, "I'm going to get you some pain meds, I'll be right back. Just hang in there, okay?" I nodded my head. For the next few minutes, although they felt like an eternity, I focused on my breathing. Finally, Eren ran back into the room, holding a bottle of pills and a glass of water.

He rushed to his earlier seat and said, "I'm gonna help you take two of these, okay?"

In response, I nodded very slightly and unhinged my jaw enough for him to slip the pills in, and then the water, which I managed to swallow.

"Those should kick in soon." He smiled. I nodded and gave him a very slight smile in exchange. I needed a distraction until the meds kicked in, though.

"Will you tell me about where you lived before?" I said gently. He looked slightly surprised, but his initially shocked expression melted into a happy one.

"Of course."

He told me stories from when he was just a kid, like when he fell off of a swingset and broke his nose, and the time that he tried to do the halfpipe at the skate park and fell flat on his face. He told me lots of stories, and after a while, the pain faded away, and I relaxed.

When he ran out of good stories, he decided to take advantage of my knowledge and have me help him with math homework. I didn't really do much, just explained a few theorems and helped with some problems.

After a long bout of silence, he piped up. "Hey Armin, what's 1000-7?"

Of course, I rolled my eyes at him, but I answered. "It's 993." I replied. "By the way, what time is it?" I said. Eren looked over at me.

"It's just about 7:00." He said, after checking his phone screen.

"Oh my god, Eren we're gonna be late!" I said, quickly sliding my legs over the side of the bed and hobbling over to where my bag was lying, grabbing a random shirt, pants, and underwear from it.

"Armin, have you seen yourself?" Eren said gently, sympathetically almost.

Cautiously, I turned towards where I knew there would be a mirror. The person staring back at me had swollen cheeks, bruise-tinted skin, a black eye and a split lip. I swallowed hard.

"I can walk, and I can focus, therefore I'm going to school." I replied stubbornly.

Eren sighed. "Well, if you're going, I'm going too." I turned to him and smiled.

"Thank you."

Half an hour of rushed eating and dressing later, Eren, Mikasa, and I were rushing out of the door towards the school. Of course, I couldn't really rush, but Eren just used the extra time to fill Mikasa in as to what happened. They agreed that they'd have to make sure that nothing happened to me today, unless we wanted to visit the hospital again.

My last thoughts before we plunged into the hellhole that was my high school were that, I have the best friends in the whole damn world.

a/n: sorry for the kind of shitty chapter. my entire soul has been consumed by Tokyo Ghoul recently, so that's why I didn't update sooner. I'm sorry! Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed! love you all! also!!!! not going to be updating until at least Thursday of next week, I'm going to be camping! ily all and please don't hate for not updating ;-; I have to write these on my phone because my computer just broke (I ordered a new one today) and I can't do anything on there. thank you all so much for being patient with me 💖