Makes Me Feel LIke I can't Live Without You

Chapter 19

Scott was silent for a moment trying to soak in what Mitch had said. "Did you hear what I said?" Mitch whispered out barely able to make sound from his sobbing. "Yes I just don't understand, who is gone Mitch?" Mitch sighed, "Who do you think? Who has been the most affected by all this sh!t?" Scott was taken aback by the harsh tone of Mitch's voice. "Hey don't shoot the messenger you called me freaking out I don't know whats going on. Just give it to me straight Mitch you can leave you sass behind I'm not in the mood for it right now. "You know what Scott I'm not in the mood for you to tell me how to act. My fcuking daughter is missing and you want to be an a$$hole to me after you boyfriend basically called me a horrible slut. You can go fcuk yourself." Mitch hung up the phone and felt his sobs start to work their way out of him. His ribs ached from the wrenching tears that were flooding his thin face.

His phone rang and he rolled his eyes but looked to make sure it wasn't Rory. It of course was Scott's number but right now he knew he shouldn't ignore any calls. "What do you want I need to keep this line clear in case she calls?" Scott screamed out in anger, "How do you tell me our daughter is missing and then just hang up? Are you truly that selfish that you think I wouldn't want to know what is happening with my kid? What the h3ll Mitch? Explain this to me now." Mitch felt new tears spring in his eyes but they were almost happy if not for the situation. He had never heard Scott call her that before and although they were fighting it really made Mitch's heart burst to know Scott felt that way for his little girl. He spoke in much calmer tones although he could tell Scott was seething.

"She must have heard us talking. She knew I was sad and you were sad. She said she wanted us together and I told her that you were with Alex and I am with Travis and that just isn't possible. She was upset but I didn't think she was this upset. When I calmed down I went to find her for lunch and she was gone." Scott was more demure in his response. "You told her we couldn't be together. What happened to all that talk of loving me?" Mitch huffed, "Ask your boyfriend." "Ugh Mitch please don't start this. Look we need to concentrate on Rory. We will deal with this later. Where could she have gone? Maybe she just went for a walk have you tried to look for her?"

"Are you kidding of course I did. I walked all over the neighborhood and knocked on all the neighbors doors. No one has seen her. I don't know where she went." Scott sat for a second. "Did Travis try to help you?" Mitch didn't answer. "Mitch do you have anyone to help you right now?" Mitch started to cry again. "No Scott I'm all alone. I told Travis I wanted to be with you and he left. He said he needed to breathe and figure some things out. I don't know what to do anymore. I can't make it without my little girl. What can I do?" Scott thought, "Ok here's what we are going to do. I'm going to start your way. We will go at this together. You call the police and file a missing persons. Get your mom home to stay there and then scour the neighborhood and the local bus stations. Maybe she got on a bus to come to me. I'll have someone here at the house just in case but I need to be with you. We will get our little girl." Mitch nodded, "Ok Scott let's find our girl."

Rory sat on the bus waiting in the first rest stop before they headed back on the road. No one had given her too hard a time when she had snuck on after one of the adults and then found a seat by herself in the back. She was scared and alone but she knew she had to go see her Scotty no matter what. Rory reached into her backpack and looked to see if she packed any snacks. She didn't think she would be but she was very hungry. She came up empty and felt her tummy rumble. An older woman leaned over the seats and handed her a sandwich. "Here honey you look hungry and I have an extra. Are you by yourself or is your mommy getting you something?"

Rory wasn't sure how to answer she knew she shouldn't tell anyone what was going on or she could get caught and her plan wouldn't work. "My daddy is sending me to see my mommy in California. Shes going to pick me up when I get there." The woman seemed to accept her answer. "Oh ok sweetie well my name is Greta and if you need anything you just let me know ok." Rory smiled at her and her daddys dimples showed on her gorgeous face. "Thank you Miss Greta."

The ride was long and Rory was over being on the bus. She finally arrived in L.A. and was so happy to be back home. She looked around not sure what she should do next. She hadn't really thought about what would happen once she got there. She walked over to a man talking on his phone. "Excuse me sir. I need to call my Uncle can you help me?" The man frowned. "Why are you here by yourself little girl? Don't you know its very dangerous especially in L.A.? What kind of parents send their child on their own in this city?" Rory rolled her eyes. "Sir I just need to call my uncle please."

The man was hesitant but helped her dial the number. The phone rang only once before he answered. "This is Scott." Rory smiled, "Uncle Scotty!!!" Scott sighed out in relief, "Rory bug oh I am so worried where are you? Are you ok? What is going on? Why did you run away?" Rory felt guilty. "I'm home Uncle Scotty. I just wanted daddy to see we all belong together. I want to be with you and for us to be a family." Scott was relieved but worried. "What do you mean home? Home in California?" Rory nodded, "Yes I'm at the bus station. I took a bus all the way up here so I could be with you."

Mitch was beside Scott pacing praying that she was ok. He motioned for Scott to give him the phone. "Rory baby its Daddy. Are you ok? I am so worried. Why would you do that to me? I don't know what I would do if I lost you." Rory started to cry. "I'm sorry Daddy I just wanted us all to be together. I don't want you to hate me I just want you with Uncle Scotty. I thought if I came home you would see that we are the best together and you would come home too." Mitch started to tear up. "Baby girl there is so much you don't understand and you are too young to be worrying about these kinds of things. Please don't be so worried about Daddy. Its my job to worry about you."

Rory's tears slowed. "But Daddy who worries for you? Who takes care of you? Who loves you when I can't?" Mitch looked at Scott who had heard the whole conversation through the speaker phone. He spoke up, "I do sweetie. I love your Daddy so much and we are going to be together as a family. Its what was meant to be from the beginning. Its what your mommy wanted and its what we are going to be. I'm calling your Aunt Kirstie. She is coming to get you and we are on our way. Go find a police officer and stay close to them until we get there ok." Rory smiled, "Ok Uncle Scotty I love you." Mitch and Scott gazed at each other with worry and love, "I love you too baby girl."