Something in the Way You Move

Chapter 18

"Uncle Scotty please don't cry." Rory said as tears started to spill from her little eyes. The screen went blank for a moment and then Scott was back more composed but still red from his break down. "I'm ok Rory-bug I just missed you and your daddy so much. Its so good to see you both." Mitch couldn't speak. It felt like the air had been knocked from his lungs. He saw the look of desperation on Scott's face and knew he had caused that. He felt all the emotions of love and passion hit him at once and he just couldn't deal with it. "Hey sweetie do you think you could check on grandma and let me talk to uncle scotty for just a minute?" Mitch asked her hoping she wouldn't fight him too badly.

Rory pouted but when she saw how hurt her Daddy was she knew in her tiny heart this was needed. "Yeah Daddy but please make sure I get to talk to him some more ok?" Mitch smiled at her and kissed the top of her head. "You got it angel." She climbed off the bed and bounced out of the room giddy from seeing one of her favorite people that she had missed so much. "Mitch.." Scott started but Mitch held up a hand. "Let me say my piece and then you can talk. I miss you Scott. I'm so sorry that I left you like that. I couldn't deal with everything and instead of talking it out I ran. I have had Travis here and he is amazing. He has been so good to me and to Rory and tried to pick up the pieces but Scott no one can fill that hole but you. I need you so much it hurts. I want to try again. I want to see if we can work. I need you and Rory needs you. She was sobbing this morning looking at a picture of the three of us together and you know what, we were a family. I messed that up instead of fighting for it. Let me have the chance to have my family. Please Scott forgive me and let me come home."

Scott was stunned he looked into Mitch's eyes and saw so much love and so much need he was breathless. He wasn't sure how to answer. His dream was to be with Mitch it had been for as long as he could remember but how could he just desert Alex like that. Alex had been amazing to him. He had forgiven him even at his worst. Scott was about to answer when a voice behind him made him jump. "Mitch I'm really sorry you're hurting but Scott has been hurt too. He didn't deserve that and you know it. I love him and I'm willing to fight for him. He deserves to be happy and you can't give him what I can. I have loved him from the beginning and I would never turn him away or run from him like you did."

Scott turned and saw Alex ready for battle. His face was set and his muscles twinged with anger. "Alex what the h3ll. This isn't your conversation. What are you thinking?" Scott yelled at him with Mitch still watching on in shock. "It damn well is my conversation when my relationship is being put in jeopardy because he finally wised up to what he could have had. Scott, babe, you have been in agony. You didn't get out of bed for weeks. I had to pick your a$$ up and build you back into who you are. Do you really want to throw that away so the next time you make him mad he tears you down again? Don't you think that when you do anything that is not agreeable he won't run or worse kick you out? Where are you going to go when I'm not here to be your crutch?"

Scott was stunned he had never heard Alex talk like this before. He was such a calm person that hearing him willing to go to battle was a mixture between a turn on and anger at the harsh words he was speaking against his friend and lifetime love. "Alex this is not the time or place for this sh!t. You back off and let me talk to him. I'll deal with you later." Alex screamed out in frustration but walked out of the apartment slamming the door in his wake. Scott winced knowing this was going to be a long night.

"I'm so sorry Mitchie you didn't need to hear that. Now back to us. What were you saying?" Mitch looked at him with the expression made of broken glass. "I was saying something very stupid. I'm sorry Scott. I ruined this. You deserve better. Alex is better. You don't need me and my hang-ups. I love you so much." Mitch got up and walked away. "Mitch...no..Mitch...please not again." Scott began to scream out for Mitch. As he began into hysterics Rory reappearing looking worried.

"Uncle Scotty, why is daddy so sad?" Scott felt the tears spill down his cheeks. "It's ok baby he will be ok. We are going to fix this somehow. Uncle Scotty has to go sweet girl I have to go find Alex but will you call me later and try to get daddy to talk to me again please?" She nodded and blew him a kiss sad their talk was cut so short and seeing that her two favorite people were in serious pain. Rory put the phone back on the charger and looked for her dad. She found him sitting on the back porch his head between his knees breathing heavy from sobbing.

"Daddy?" Mitch wiped his eyes and tried to control his breathing. "Hey sweetpea did you get to talk more to Uncle Scotty? I left it on for you." She sat down next to him and put her head on his lap. He stroked her hair. "Yeah a little bit. Daddy, why are you and Uncle Scotty so sad? You were so happy when we were all together but now everyone is always crying. Can't you just be together so we can be a family?" Mitch's breath hitched. "I wish that was possible my sweet baby girl but Uncle Scotty is with Alex and Daddy is with Trav Trav. We both love you so very much." Rory sighed and got up to go to her room. Mitch watched her walk away and felt his heart tearing apart. Why was this affecting so much of his life? He got up and went to find Travis and tell him what happened. He had been too good to Mitch not to get the truth. He only hoped he would stay after what just happened.

Rory sat in her room and her wheels were turning hard in her brain. For a 6 year old she was very bright and she was trying to come up with a way to get her dad and Scott to see that they were meant to be together. She loved Alex and Trav Trav but her Daddy was supposed to be with Scott and she was going to be what made that happen. She packed a small bag of her most treasured belongings. A necklace from her Daddy, a bracelet from her Uncle Scotty, a teddy bear from Travis, her favorite shirt from Alex, and some odds and ends she thought she would need. She wrote a note for her dad to find and hoped this would work the way she planned it. Rory snuck out the back door and started her trek to the bus station to make her way to her Uncle Scotty. She was going to fix this one way or another.

Mitch went to check on Rory before lunch but found her room empty. He went out back and didn't find her playing in the yard. He began to check each room, panic setting in deeper as he found each one Rory-free. He ran down the stairs and screamed out for her. "Rory, baby, this isn't funny. Daddy is scared please come out." There was nothing but silence in his wake. Travis had left after their talk to cool down and his mom was at work. His dad had gone out with a friend so he was completely alone. Mitch wasn't sure what to do so he called the first person he could think that would be there for him. Ring...ring..."Mitchie didn't expect a call from you." Mitch sighed. "Shes gone.....Scott....shes gone."