Chapter 27

Genevieve

A week passed by, and work has been hectic. Justin and I kept things low, and Christine is searching for him. Weston and I talked, he told me about the Chinese Mafia recruiting Russian men in their new board game. And we, Justin and I, are a part of it. But that didn't faze us though.

Like I said, work has been hectic, so I was too distracted to care for any dramas involving my life now.

During my busy hours, Justin called me through my work phone. I was a little concerned when I asked me if we could meet up at his house. I haven't been to his house yet, but I knew for sure this one wasn't the one that is previously being investigated after a loud bomb was planted on it.

I had to take the bus and leave my car at the parking lot; it was too risky to drive around with my babies. The museum was closed, Gunter and Livy went to a friend's party, and I was on my way to Justin's apartment.

The bus stopped at a store, I got off and kept my hoodie on until I've reached the old apartment. An old woman stood behind a counter, watching the TV that hung on the wall. The security guard dozed off, and a homeless looking guy lay on the table.

The place looked like a small bar; there were no people around though.

It looked abandoned.

I see why Justin picked this.

A stair leading the way upstairs, I made my way to the fifth floor - the last one.

The doors all looked gross and abandoned, but there was one door where it leads to the Janitor's closet, I think?

I opened it and saw another door behind the hangers. I closed the closet behind me and knocked, it opened and I see a clean Justin standing in front of me.

"Nice way to pick an apartment."

He shrugged, "It'll do." He then grabbed me and kissed my lips like there was no tomorrow.

The last thing I remembered before a blissful night was the door slamming close and our clothes ripped off.

"Why do you think people try to ruin our lives?" I asked.

He hummed, "Because we're in theirs."

I looked up at him and stared at his beautiful orbs, "And they're in ours."

Justin breathed in my hair and exhaled, "I love you Genevieve."

My breath hitched.

Kissing the top of my head, he spoke softly, "You don't have to say it back, and I know you're still afraid of me."

When I looked back up at him, he stared down at me intensely, "I was once in you position; vulnerable, weak, and sad. My past girlfriend...she cheated on me, with your brother."

Whoa, what?

"Yeah," he chuckled a little, "Weston. He didn't know too, she said the same thing to him when I asked her if I was the only one, cliché I know."

"What did she say?"

"She said 'I love you, and only you.'"

I wrinkled my nose in disgust, he smiled at that and tapped it. "I believed her, of course, but after that Weston and I found out and broke things off with her. I didn't think only for myself though, I knew your brother was suffering too; it resulted to him sleeping around with dozens of girls.

"I respected his choices, because it was his way of distracting himself. Although, using other girls aren't good, but what can I say to him? He thinks that every girl he fucked was the same as Christine, desperate and a slut. One day for sure, he'll find the one."

I went back to the time when my brother flirted with my friend Livy, the thought of them together made me think a lot.

"I know you're afraid of love, Genevieve. I promise you, I can wait as long as you want me to." He whispered in my ear.

I creased his chest and said, "No, that's not true," I said, confusing him, "I'm not afraid of love."

I kissed him, straddling him as I did, "I may be afraid with a lot of things, but love isn't one of them. I love a lot of things Justin; I love cats, I love dogs, I love cakes, I love babies, and I love my friends," I paused, "What I am afraid of if beyond what I may or may not know for sure. I'm afraid of committing myself to someone; only to find out they won't feel the same anymore. I'm afraid of rejection."

There I said it. The same thoughts I had when I realized how deeply I had cared for this man. I cared for him; soon, I'll love him. But when is the right time?

Justin kissed my neck and rubbed my naked back, "I know baby, I know. Let's get some rest." He pecked my lips and hugged me as I laid on him, thinking of ways how I can actually make things possible for us.

* * * * *

"It's either Monopoly or nada!" Livy exclaimed with a pout.

Kylie, one of our colleagues, rolled her eyes and sighed, "Fine, we'll play the freaking Monopoly game."

"Dammit!" Gunter yelled from the kitchen, "Fuck! Shit!"

I popped another popcorn in my mouth and chewed, "Everything alright there Gun?"

"No! Everything is not alright!"

Glancing at the Livy who happily rolled the dice, I stood up and made my way towards the kitchen. "Did you burn your hand or something?"

"Yes!" Gunter whined.

"Okay calm down, pour water on it first. I'll go grab the toothpaste."

"WHAT? The toothpaste? What are you going to do? Brush my teeth to heal this?" He yelled in shock.

"I'm applying toothpaste on that burnt hand, it'll heal quickly!"

"Now that's just quackery!"

"Shut up, it's what my grandparents do to me every time I burn my hand. In two days, your hand will dry up - besides, we'll look for some creams later." I rushed upstairs and grabbed the toothpaste.

Before I could walk out of the bathroom, I hear a phone beep. Curiously, I looked at Gunter's bed and see his phone lit up.

Mm, he has 15-missed call from an unknown caller.

I should give this to him, just as I was about to grab the phone; one of the text message's content caught my eyes.

Get ready; we're doing it tonight - unknown number

Was Gunter planning to go somewhere?

"ELIZABETH!" I rolled my eyes at Gun's whiney voice.

Deciding to copy the phone number, I went downstairs with guilty hands - I shouldn't be invading my friend's privacy, but what if he's in danger? Nowadays, I can't trust people outside my own little world; it'll get me killed one day.

But then again, I do take risks.