Chapter 23

Joan's POV

"W-what?" My faint squeaky voice was the only noise after an agonising silence, where the only sound I could hear was the thudding of my heart. Jude didn't speak. It didn't look like she could, for the first time in her life she didn't have anything to come back with.

"I'm so sorry." Julia threw her arms forcefully around me, and I almost tumbled over. I didn't know why she was apologising, I suppose she was apologising to herself more than us, but I had other things on my mind. I thought about it over and over again in my head. Then a realisation hit me like a ton of bricks.

"You don't know which of the boys it is?" It couldve been either. "You didnt touch Georgie did you!?" I didn't know what to do. This was the worst situation I'd ever been in. Then I felt so alone. I had just left everything behind. My mum and dad weren't even born yet, and I'd never see Heather again, unless I met them as an old lady, and so many of my friends were back at home. Me, Jude and Julia had to deal with it on our own.

"No, I haven't! And I don't know. And don't tell the boys yet." She looked down at the floor, biting her thumbnail nervously. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself, but I couldn't stop what came out next, as hard as I tried.

"The boys don't know!?" I almost shreiked, and she tried to calm me down. I could feel myself getting pale, and my breathing was rapid. What had she done? Or rather, who. "You need to tell them Jules!"

"But... I don't know what they'd do, and they'd probably hate each other! WHAT IF I BREAK UP THE BEATLES!?" Her eyes were brimming with tears. I'd practically been to hell and back with her and Jude, but I'd never seen her so scared, and so vulnerable, and I'd never seen Jude look so pale before. I was a bit worried that she was going to faint.

"No, no. They... They won't break up. They can't break up. We can keep them together. But you really need to tell them." I pressed on, and she buried her face in her hands, but she nodded anyway. "We'll be here to support you, don't worry." I encouraged her, despite the worry brewing inside me.

"Jude? Don't you faint on me, I'm having enough trouble from her." Jude looked up at me, seeming slightly queasy but nervous as hell.

"What the hell have we gotten ourselves into?" She almost cried, voicing all of my thoughts. "Travelling back in time. We could've just ruined everything. What if we change our timelines so we never get born or something?"

"Don't be drastic, we'd already have faded from existence or whatever. Look, we have a more pressing problem." I reminded her, and we both returned our attention to a panicked looking Julia, who was clutching her stomach, about to cry. Maybe this was a mistake.