Chapter 23

Lunch was rather modest; a few sandwiches ordered at the local delicatessen. They’d sat in the park nearby, nibbling on the foods under a tree while Cry ran along, chasing pigeons and other birds that landed to peck at the floor. Felix smiled and chuckled as he watched the other run along. Despite seeming around twenty or so, he still acted like a young child, filled with interest and other childish wonder. Soon after, Cry tired of chasing the birds and returned to sit with Felix.

“Hey, wanna see something cool?” He asked. The Swede nodded and Cry sighed, closing his eyes a moment and focusing his breathing. Felix gasped, eyes widening as he saw the electricity in Cry’s hand leap and arc about into a small rabbit.

“Whoa...” Felix said, awestruck.

“They always said I was like a rabbit, being tested on so one day I asked what a rabbit looked like. They showed me a picture” He opened his eyes and smiled as the rabbit sniffed around his hand. A fond smile was shot at the rabbit from Cry as he watched it before it hardened. His other hand swung up and smashed down on the electrical rabbit, splattering it into sparks.

“I hate rabbits” He spat, brushing his hands off on his pants and standing. He swept the Sup Guy into his arms, making Felix sigh as he stood.

“Should we go back to the library? We could get you a book to read while I’m at work” Felix said, taking Cry’s hand and leading him along.

“I can’t read” He murmured quietly. Felix froze and Cry blushed, burying his face in his Sup Guy.

“No?” Felix asked, turning around to look at the boy blushing behind him.

“I know a few words...” He started. Felix tilted his head and Cry sighed. “I know how to read ‘Experiment, Subject, Injection, Shock, Lethal, Resistance, Increase"

“Well...” Felix was at a loss for words, struggling to grab for words that would soothe and calm Cry’s thoughts. “We... can learn some different words now, can’t we?” He asked.

“Yeah” Cry replied, blush still there but a smile also lingering with it.

“Let’s go” That voice was back again, making Cry grin as he overtook Felix, dragging him along instead.