Chapter 9

Although the home was small and slightly messy, Cry found himself filled with an overflowing sense of comfort and safety. His shoulders dropped and the tense breaths he had owned while in the streets of the strange land of Sweden drifted away, replaced with the normal sense of breathing. His mind was at ease, his body was relaxed, his heart was steady and his electricity was level, meaning if it were to act out, he would have to will it into the action.

“Apologies for the mess” Pewds said as he entered, sweeping some clothes off the couch. “I’ve been a bit lazy”

“Oh no, It’s fine” Cry insisted, waving his hands about. He set the bag down and settled himself onto the couch. His pupils dilated and for a moment, Pewds feared the boy he had brought home had passed away suddenly or was in fact a strange futuristic robot who was calibrating himself but the worries fled his mind as the smile that Cry had found himself using more often than he ever had before spread. Instantly his body was lying on the couch and he rolled in the softness like a cat claiming some cloth for itself. His motions were clumsy yet Pewds could see Cry was honestly comfortable and happy with his location.

“Would you like anything?” Pewds asked as he watched Cry wriggle and nestle himself into the couch.

“A blanket” Came the simple request. A nod was given and a blanket was fetched, placed over Cry’s form which had become huddled like a small animal. Pewds smiled as he watched Cry fall asleep almost instantly.

“Goodnight friend, I’ll wake you for dinner” Pewds’ voice was soft as he left the boy to sleep on his couch while he quietly rummaged around the room, picking up things and putting them away. He took a seat at the table and opened that morning’s paper, flipping through.

“Market’s fluctuating... Mother claims Jesus was in her grape... Baby born early and looks like a supermodel... nothing...good” Yet something ‘Good’ did in fact catch his gaze. Something about a facility far off in some woods exploding. Apparently even the politicians hadn’t known it existed. The personnel inside were electrocuted and many strange torture pieces were found inside, like a metal chair hooked up to a generator powerful enough to power a whole gaming convention with every piece of electronics running at the most power draining settings for two days. That caused Pewds to raise an eyebrow. Why would that much power be running into a chair like that? He brushed it off as he read more into it. They security camera footage had become distorted and unviewable and there were footprints faintly burned into varying surfaces but nothing else that was of note to the papers. He folded it neatly and set it back on the table before standing and shuffling lazily over to the kettle, preparing himself a drink. Perhaps he would ask Cry about the facility when he woke up.