“The truth?” Eric asked.

Allison sighed, “That her own mother was selfish.”

Eric shook his head, “You might have made a mistake. But you’re far from selfish, Ally. From what I’ve heard, you gave up a lot for Chloe and truthfully it’s what made me change my mind about the whole court thing. And, of course, Paul told me I would never win.” He added sheepishly.

Allison laughed lightly and looked up to see Eric smiling at her. It was weird. In that moment it seemed all their problems, all the anger and frustration they felt towards each other vanished, replaced by a calm understanding of what the other felt like. It was hypnotising and very powerful.

“So,” Allison said awkwardly being the first to look away, “We’ve clearly establish that neither of us want to drag this out in a court case.” Eric nodded in agreement, “Look, I know I did you wrong and I want to make things right for all our sakes. So please tell me what I can do to make this right, because right now I feel awful and I need not to feel this way?” she asked in a rush.

Eric looked at her for a moment and could see how torn she was by all of this. Maybe he had come too hard down on her last night; maybe he should give her a break. She clearly wanted to make things right, to give him a chance with his daughter, so why shouldn’t he take it. Eric knew things between him and Allison would never be the same, especially after all that had happened, but he hoped that they would one day be able to move on from it all.

He didn’t want Chloe growing up in an environment where neither of her parents spoke to each other, using her as a means of communication. No, that was no way for a child to live, being a mediator between her parents.

He still held some anger towards the woman who sat across from him now, not matter how vulnerable she looked. But it was clear the thought of being separated from Chloe scared her. Why else would she be here?

They definitely needed to lay all their cards out on the table, for Chloe’s sake.

“I want her to know about me,” he suddenly spoke up, “to get to know me as her father. I want to be a part of her life. I know it’s not going to be easy, I missed so much already. I don’t even know what she likes, does she have any allergies, what’s her favourite stuffed animal, and does she even have a favourite.”

Eric stopped abruptly, suddenly overwhelmed by all he didn’t know about his own daughter. He knew it would be hard; it was something he had thought long and hard about last night right into the early hours of the morning. Being a father was a huge responsibility, one he hadn’t planned for, because he never knew there was a need for it. It was one he had no idea if he was ready for. But the thought of never knowing Chloe scared him more.

Allison hesitantly – at first – reached out to pat his hand. Eric took comfort in the fact that she would be there to help him with Chloe. The fear of failing as a father, of becoming his father, was overwhelming and Eric shivered at the thought of how scared Allison must have been when she was raising Chloe alone.

“What she like?” Eric enquired.

Allison smiled, letting go of his hand, “She’s a lot like you, actually. I mean, besides the looks. She’s smart, caring and a huge sport fan. Though I have to confess she doesn’t always know what’s going on and I’m afraid, as you know, I’m lacking in that department. She’s a lot more matured, I guess you could say, for her age. Only, remember the one thing I disliked about you?”

Eric chuckled, “My stubborn streak.”

Allison nodded, smiling, “She has one too. Though, I think she might be worse.”