Chapter 19

I'm not sure where to start and I am not about to roam around in every police station there are, and so I settle for the one closest to home. I waltz in there like I belong, while in the car I had called earlier about what my intentions are. It is to get information if I were to become an intern, of course the real plan is to get rid of the officer somehow and search their files.

"You can't be here," the lady at the desk ask, and I flash a grin. "I'm here to see Hayden." I tell her.

"Hayden?"

I frown; I don't remember asking for a first name or what her deal is at the office. "Just tell her that Mia is here to see her; I'm sure she will figure it out." I take off my glasses and pretend to wipe the lenses.

"Sure," she hurries away from me. I take a peek at her computer, too bad Jean is not here to defile this baby up; I squint at the screen, nothing I recognize and I don't want to move anything or leave any fingerprints.

"Yes?" I pull away as soon as I hear heels click clacking against the tile floor.

"Hi," I reach my hand out to her. "I had called earlier." She looks at me confuse so I went to say, "I wanted information about an internship maybe."

"Ah, right." She shakes my hand firmly, another worry about fingerprints. I sigh and then put on a bright smile on my face. "Follow me," she says and I do just that.

The office looks decent, not much of any decoration. There is a chair by the door and a sofa, or is it a couch? By the window, a huge desk and ...

"So?" she sits at her desk, her arms cross against her chest, not minding that she had interrupted my train of thought. I sit in front of her, the name reads Tamekia Hayden.

"Mrs. Hayden," I start.

"It's Ms. Hayden," she intercepts.

"Well then," I mumble.

"What was that?" she raises an eyebrow.

"N-nothing," I clear my throat. "My name is Mia Payne; I'm a student at Prospect Heights. I'm close to graduating and currently looking for something to do."

"And being a police officer is what you see fit?" she arches an eyebrow at me. For some reason I feel as though she is judging me. "Don't get me wrong, this is a great job and I love it but someone as young as you," she stops.

"Someone as young as me?"

"Well to put it simply, do you want to die?"

"I don't know, do you?" I asked, "Pardon me, ma'am-"

"Ms."

"Pardon me, Ms. Hayden, but I am simply here for information not to be interviewed for a job, which by the way if I was; this'd be my choice and you'd have no right to question my choice, though it's not so if you not up to it just turn me away."

"Can I offer you something to drink?"

"H-huh?" I stutter taken aback by the sudden change of subject.

"A drink," she says again.

"Sure," I say looking down at my lap.

"You've got spunk," Ms. Hayden goes to say. "We could use that around here, some are just spineless and ugh." I can tell she's making faces while pouring coffee in each cup.

"But you're young, and it's too soon to know what you want to do, you know what I mean?"

I nod because really I do, "But this is an internship though. It doesn't have to be exactly what I want to do, but it can be something worth putting on my resume."