Chapter 11

Once he lunges, I duck under him and run to the nearest classroom.

"You are way over your head."

"Well I am starting to hate the sound of your voice, mister." I say as I crawl under the table.

He springs up from the table knocking them over one by one; still I crawl until I get to the exit door and dash for it.

I run and run then I've run out of places to run to; the only thing to my advantage is the darkness.

Out the corner of my eye, I see a small light; I follow it and I'm led to the cafeteria. I curse and then decide to hide behind the food serving counter.

I rummage under the stall and find a cooking pan; I take it and hold on tight.

"Come out, come out wherever you are." He singsongs and I hate him now more than ever.

He reminds me of Charlie and her poses. I hear his footsteps but I don't know where he is position; I am about to go hide behind doors instead when my phone ring, giving me away.

I slide answer but did not say a thing as I try to lie under the stall without making any noise, in case he detects where I am and decide to come look.

"Can't talk," I whisper on the phone.

"Where are you?" Jean's voice boom through the phone.

Though he was being a chicken earlier, I am glad that he is okay. "Battling a monster," I say. "How's Morgan?"

"I'm fine now," she comes to. "It was totally worth it, I mean you're worth it."

"How romantic," I blush.

I hear a clatter of noise, "listen, I will leave the phone on but if you don't hear from me, I die."

"Le ..."

"Bye," I tuck the phone in my pocket.

I get up to take a peek over the counter, only in time to find him staring back at me; I yelp, close my eyes and swing the pan as hard towards his head.

I watch him stagger backwards then I take the chance to pull the fire extinguisher off the wall and pull the pin.

Then I aim, squeeze the lever slowly and then sweep at his face.

"What is your name?" he spits out. "I'd like to know it as a souvenir for when I get the chance to kill you!"

"Sure," I say. "Just not tonight," I bash him right in his face with the butt of the fire extinguisher.

Feeling dirty and raw, I throw the weapon away and before he can budge; I run out the door, never looking back.

*

In the car, I sit in the back, Morgan's body half way on me as I pet her head and call out to her now and then just to make sure that she is conscious.

"Who was that guy?" I ask Jean a minute or two later.

"Um..."

"Better start talking," Morgan says. "We almost got killed back there."

"Okay, okay." He shifts in his seat then clear his throat. "His name is Pete; he is second hand in command, I on the other hand am just the messenger."

"Don't make this about you," Morgan and I say at the same time.

"Right," he keeps his eyes on the road. "There are many names for what we do but in a way I guess, it can be call prostitution. We sell teenage girls to high class buyers and they do to them as they see fit."