Chapter 34

I get out of the hospital just in time for prom. In fact, I did two days prior which was enough time for mom and dad to decide that the family needed fresh air.

"I know of the perfect place," she said but did not want to tell us where. I was reluctant to leave, but I figured that after all that's happened, I really needed time to think and be me for a while.

I got all my credits so my parents arranged to have my diploma mailed to us in case I didn't stay long enough to have the ceremony. Something my mom wanted and cried over because she wanted to see her baby girl in her cap and gown.

"Chill," my brother told her.

I smiled; glad that we had made up and that he came clean. He was sworn to secrecy and couldn't tell anyone at all. Not even me. It hurts, but after what I went through, it's understandable.

Secrecy runs in the family.

During the days I've made it home, we spent our time packing and cleaning for our move. Now here I am currently shopping for prom dresses and shoes.

"Do you have a date yet?" Hannah asks.

I shrug.

I want to go with Morgan, but we have not talk since the last time I've seen her. Although, she sent me flowers, cards and letters that professed her love for me and told me how sorry she was.

Sadly, she wouldn't let me see her and even when I went to her place after my release, she wasn't home.  

"I can be your date," Hannah offers.

"And me," Jean chimes in.

"Boy," Hannah pulls at his cheek and I smile in delight. I'm happy that the two started dating each other.

Jean was there for her when I couldn't since the doctor wouldn't let me out until I was completely healed so I had assigned Jean to take care of her for me, and then that happened.

I smile again and shake my head at the memory; the time when the both of them came to see me in the hospital once, hand in hand and happy.

"I'm just glad that our handy work got done in time," Hannah says after letting go.

"Yeah," I agree. “But I did do my part.”

"Yes you did, and then some."

I nod.

"Thank you by the way," Jean says.

"My pleasure," I curtsy.

I turn away from the two and look through flimsy clothes that I might never wear again. I absentmindedly run my finger on the scar that Charlie left when she stabbed me.

“You okay?”

I feel someone touch my hand and I quickly step back. “Y-yeah,” I stutter and then look up to see…

"Morgan?"

"Hi," she says sheepishly.

"Hi?" I retort. "At this point, I deserve more than just a simple 'hi,' don't I?"

"Please," she raises both hands. "I'm not here to fight."

"Neither am I," I said.

"I've been busy and taking care of some things," she runs her fingers through her hair. "Going to prom?" She asks as she looks past me. I follow her gaze and see Hannah holding up a dress to her body.

"Yeah," I turn to her. "I have to go," I say.

"Yeah," she says. I turn and walk away, she did not stop me even though I was hoping that despite her behavior, she'd ask me to prom.