Chapter 35

"Love is what I feel for you, it runs through my veins; euphoric, but I abused it, I didn't show it and my actions didn't justify it either. I could go on, but what effect will it have on our situation? I'm so sorry."

These replay through my mind over and over again as I stand in my underwear with Morgan's letter in my hand.

"Love is what I feel for you," she whispered in my ears when we were on the bleachers at prom.

I'm leaving two days from now, is this how I want things to end? I ask myself. "Gosh, I'm so stupid."

"And why are you stupid?" I lift up my head to see dad standing at the door.

"You should've knocked," I said quickly pulling one of the bed sheets over me.

"I did," he says. "May I come in?"

I shrug. Mom forgave him for leaving us, but I haven't. I understand that he did it to save our lives and that he was the one who saved me when I almost died at Charlie's mansion, but still. He's my dad. It's his right to save and protect his family. I don't owe him anything.

"I know that I have lost the privilege to be a dad when I walked out on you, but you can talk to me."

I watch him carefully, contemplating whether or not to trust the man who offers me peace and comfort. It should be easy, he's just a stranger to me, which should make this not awkward at all, but it might. Unlike mom, I do not know how he will handle me in love with a girl.

I sigh.

"I hate you," I say.

"I know," he nods.

"You've got a lot of making up to do," I add.

"I know that too," he looks at me and I look back at him.

"Do you?" I ask.

He nods again and for the first time since I've seen him, I smile.

"My lover," I hesitate. "A girl," I toy with the piece of paper and then hand it to him. "Ask me to meet her at this location and I don't know what to do."

"What's the situation?" He asks as he read the letter.

"You sound like a detective," I say.

"I am a cop, does that count?"

"Bleh," I get off the bed and walk to my closet. "I loved her since day one."

"Loved?"

"Hush." I warn, "I was crushing on her, okay? One day she invited me to a party, I went, we got close and started seeing each other." I clear my throat, "not as a couple, I don't think. And then the Hannah thing happened and we got really close and spent time together, but she keeps playing these mind games even though she told me that she loves me."

I pick a jegging (leggings that are jeans) and a tank top along with a jacket. "Are you phased by that letter you're reading?"

"I admit that it took me aback, but no. No, I'm not. I've seen and handled too many horrible things to be phased by the fact that my daughter is into girls."

"Oh?" I turn to him, "you're different."

"How so?" He asks.

"Mom didn't take it so well." I look down, and then go back in my closet. "I'm torn," I pick a short, high waist jeans. "I don't want her to play me. I don't want to let her in and I end up picking up pieces of a broken heart."

"You should meet her," he says and my heart ache at the thought. "You're leaving in two days, take a chance, Lea."

"If I don't?" I clench my fist tight, gritting my teeth.