Chapter 26

When I get home from school, mom's not there which piss me off more than having to deal with my relationship with Morgan. I lock the door, close the curtains and make sure that nobody is home, and then I walk up the stairs to my room.

Half way up, I see that mom hasn't yet come home and her door stands ajar and as I creep past; I peer through to find the bed made, the sheets undisturbed.

When has our roles change so drastically? Aren't I the one who is supposed to stay out all night? Doesn't she care about me at all? Is me being in love with Morgan, whom is a girl, disgust her so much that she has now completely abandon me?

I step back and walk towards her room instead. I go in silently and look around while wondering if mom ever bring a man in here while my brother and I are at school. And she she said she loves dad, I don't believe her plus I haven't seen the man she went on a date with since last time. It doesn't make sense. She's never here and now that I think about it, neither has Niall.

Where do they go to? It's been weeks since Hannah and I have told mom what's going on and so far nothing is being done. She never even asked me how Hannah is doing or talk about that day when I almost got hit by a car, a van? It looked like a van to me.

I sigh. I open the window slightly so I know when someone gets home and then go to mom's closet; I search inside, but there is nothing except for brand new clothes, coat and jumpsuits for work, maybe and below them are shoes that are arranged from flats to high heels.

I don't know what I'm looking for, but something is here that is mine and I can feel it. I go through her drawers, under the bed and by her night stands, but nothing. Nothing, but paper bills, envelopes and unimportant things.

I am about to give up when I feel a floorboard creak under my feet. I step on it and follow its trace, which leads under the bed. I crouch down and pull it apart, it's dark so I can't see a thing. I take my phone and use its flashlight, inside is a secret box with a face from each side and on top are weird symbols that look like bugs. Beside the box is a tinier one.

I pick it up and inside I find a key. There seem to be one missing, I guess. I take it and try to open the box which kick my ass before finally letting me in; there are many holes and spots in there which mom fills with jewelries. I curse under my breath. "Well then," I say.

I am about to put it down where I find it since I am not interested in mom's jewelry when one of the case falls off and under the others are a huge one and on it is a commissioner badge. I bite my bottom lip, tears threatening to escape my eyes. I pick up the badge, it being heavy in the palm of my hand; I twist and turn it, touching the five stars and then I put it down quickly as if it has burn me.

Tuck in the corner is what looks like an envelope, I tug at it and open the lid, which have a piece of paper. I read:

Hey buddy, if you reading this letter now then that means you've either found it (as I knew you would) or your mom finally decide that it's time for you to know the truth. I didn't leave you, your mom and I aren't divorced and truth is, my job needs me elsewhere. I'm so so sorry.

Be a good girl and keep yourself out of trouble.

Love,
Daddy.

Be a good girl and keep yourself out of trouble, the words ring in my ears over and over again. Where have I heard them before? I thought. Something falls out the envelope, I look down and pick it up, my hands shaking and there sitting on the couch is what looks like the half of the picture I have tucked under my bed.

I inhale a sharp breath, nearly dying of shock. I get up, my legs numb from the way I was sitting and stumble my way upstairs to my room. I burst in there as if my life's in danger, though it literally is and I get the bag from under my bed. I drop everything on the floor and search for the other piece and when I find it, I put them together and everything just click.