Chapter Twenty-Five: The Girl in the Attic

Beginne am Anfang

“No I wasn’t,” Xavier said defensively – too defensive, in my opinion.

“Yeah right,” Sandor said sarcastically, laughing. “Anyway, I just came to tell you that I’m not going to have dinner here tonight.”

“Why not?”

“There’s somewhere I need to go.”

“Oh… okay.”

“A party,” Sandor said nonchalantly. “I won’t be back until tomorrow morning.”

“Okay, fine.”

“More time to watch porn by yourself, eh?” his brother joked.

Xavier just sighed. “I wasn’t.”

“Yeah, yeah, talk to my hand. Anyway, Dad told me.”

Xavier suddenly froze and hesitated before replying. “What… what did Dad tell you exactly?” he asked slowly.

“About your acceptance in Harvard.”

I suddenly stilled. Harvard? Harvard University? Xavier was accepted there?

My mouth opened in shock. I know Xavier’s in his last year of high school; that he’s going to college next year. I always thought that he’s going to end up in the local college. But… Harvard? Wasn’t that a college for rich and smart kids?

“Oh that,” Xavier replied Sandor with a nervous laugh. “Yeah…”

“Congrats, man. I always knew you could do that,” Sandor said appreciatively. “You will do well there. I heard the girls there are smoking hot.”

Xavier just laughed nervously. “Yeah well… I’m not really going there for the girls. I go there for the studies.”

“Always the smart one. Now I know why you try to look like a bad boy. So they would underestimate your brains.”

“Okay, enough talk. You have to go,” Xavier said firmly.

“Uh, okay. See you tomorrow, bro.” And then Sandor opened the door. He walked out in a heartbeat and closed the door.

I didn’t move from my spot. I heard Sandor’s footsteps downstairs. I knew he was getting away, and that Xavier and I must follow him. But I was frozen on the floor, staring at the mattress above me. Xavier’s going away to Massachusetts.

He’s going to leave me.

“Autumn, come on,” Xavier said, exasperated. “Sandor’s getting away. We’ll talk about Harvard later.”

I crawled out under his bed and stood up. I crossed my arms and glared at him. “Harvard… You didn’t tell me you’re going there!”

“I was about to,” he replied, running his hand through his hair. “But then you brought up Sandor and everything. I decided to put it away because first thing’s first.”

“You’re going to Massachusetts!” I cried out loud. “You’re leaving me here in Chicago.”

Xavier sighed, annoyed. Then he grabbed my hand. “We’ll talk about this later. Sandor’s getting away and we must follow him.”

I shook my head wearily. Yes, first thing’s first. Harvard would go later – firstly, we have to follow Sandor.

*** 

“Seatbelt, Autumn,” Xavier reminded me.

I fastened my seatbelt, ignoring him. Sandor had left two minutes ago and we were currently following him from behind. He wouldn’t recognize that it was Xavier and I were the one who was following him. Xavier rented a car, and the windows were tinted black.