Chapter 12: The Apology

"Alright, there should be a panel up here that I can hack. I think.... No? Hm, they must've removed it by now."

Rattmann finally piped up. "Argh, we don't have time for this! We could've been there and back by now!" He barked.

"And what makes you think that? This is the only way there is and probably the only way there ever will be!"

"Oh really? Follow me!"

Chell and I just looked at each other and she started following him. We were lead to a panel in the wall, but I couldn't hack it. Rattmann banged on the door a couple of times with his fist.

"Tah-Dah! The catwalk to the neurotoxin."

"Wh-what?! How did you-"

"I've known Aperture for quite the while. You're welcome, by the way." He actually had a lot in common with me from what I could tell.

"Hey, I've known Aperture for over 50,000 years! How do you know so much about it in, I don't know, one probably!"

"We shouldn't be arguing about this, you know. I mean, we both know a lot about Aperture, so what? That's good! The only reason I know that and you don't is because, well lets just say they don't call me Rattmann for nothin'." He reached out his arm for me to shake.

"No arms, mate. But yes, I would shake your hand if I'd had a pair." That made Chell smile, which made me smile, which didn't really affect Doug because he doesn't really know much about the situation. But I was glad Chell was happy.

"Alright, let's go!" Doug said, determined like me and her.

"Alright, this is a bit bigger then I expected. We're not gonna be able to just, y'know, push it over. We have to apply some cleverness."

"Over here!" Doug called on the other side of the catwalk.

Just then, a panel opened from beside me and Chell.

"Look out!" I shouted as soon as I saw the lasers.

She shot a portal in the room with the turrets, as a reflex, I suppose. She shot another on the wall besides us. But just before we entered, a turret managed to hit me in my back, the shell.

Chell quickly entered and kicked all of them over with anger in her eyes. Once she was finished with them she set me down and looked around for something. Then she looked down at the cloth wrappings on her wrists and yanked the one on her right hand off. She wrapped it on my wound quickly.

"Is there a hole?! Oh please tell me it missed the wires!" I panicked.

"You should be alright, I don't think it hit anything. There's a laser up here, so be careful for that." Wasn't that the laser we shut off the neurotoxin with last time?

"Yeah, but the laser isn't in our way, it's just in the distance, isn't it?"

"We'll see." Before any of us could see, we heard her voice boom over the intercom.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'll come back when you lose the boyfriend."

I blushed slightly, half-hoping that she was, too. She continued

"Your boyfriend... And a friend. Okay. That just makes this more fun for me."