Chapter 8: Something Special

"So I guess that just happened, didn't it?"

*Yup, I'm just as shocked as you are.* I scribbled.

"So yeah, you've-you've probably figured out by now that the 'Luv' thing wasn't an accident. Well I mean, it was an accident but not like I didn't mean it, it just slipped out. I leaned over and planted a kiss right next to his blue ocular. Again, he could've passed as a tomato.

Wheatley is too sweet, he really is. I giggled. Space was still sitting there on the bed with us, staring. Then we both started laughing at what Space must be thinking right now.

"Space buddy?" He whined.

"I'm alright mate, never better! And You can call me Earth buddy, now!"

I blushed at that and tried to think about how this was going to work.
Wheatley was still looking at his space friend, so I nudged him.

*You aren't like any of the other cores, you know? You have emotion, feeling. You have love, you can cry, you can blush. You really are something special.*

"I guess so" He spoke softly. He made the moment really feel special.

*I've always thought about how robots and cores don't have personalities, but I guess I thought wrong.*

"Well apparently I was supposed to be like a conscious for GLaDOS, so imagine what she would've been like if that worked."

*She would have been a much better person if that happened.*

"You really think so?" He questioned.

*I know so.*

"Hey, you're something special, too. I mean, GLaDOS killed everyone in the facility with the bloody neurotoxin except for YOU. You survived that, as a small child.

*Really?* I was shocked by this. How could I have survived? Of all of the people I'm the only one who lived.

"It's true. You were smart enough to pass through her tests, only for her to try and burn you alive! You were also smart enough to escape, Strong enough to survive several ambushes of turrets, and brave enough to face her and defeat her. After you were put in cyrosleep again, you actually survived all of those decades, and here we are."

*How did you know all of this?* I was so curious now, he knew all of that?

"I was there, luv. I was in the blurred windows that gave the chambers their light."

I was, again, shocked. How could he have been there? I never saw him in any of those rooms.

*I don't remember that at all.* I scribbled.

"That's probably because you were in cyrosleep for so long."

Wait a minute, I just realized something. *Don't you cores have built in monitors?*

"Why, yes we do, why do you ask?"

I didn't reply, I asked if there was a way I could plug Space into the computer.

"There's a port at his back, but I'm not sure why you'd need to, though."

I grabbed my USB cord and plugged him in. He looked at me, confused, but remained quiet.
I attached the cord into my laptop, and began searching. I went into the files of 18 months ago until I found it. I played the clip. The monitor was spinning, rapidly, but the audio was just fine. Finally I could see Wheatley, he had a sad look on his face.

Wheatley (in real life) leaned forward. "Is that me?" He asked. I nodded my head.

He started talking.

"I wish I could take it all back. I honestly do wish I could take it all back. And not just because I'm stranded in space."

" We're in space!"

"I know you are, mate! yup. we're both in space."

His voice was cracking. I couldn't bear the thought of him being alone, just like I was for almost as long as I can remember. I let a tear slip, I didn't even notice until I felt another one.

"But you know if I was ever to see her again, do you know what i'd say? I'd say... I'm sorry."

And another

"Sincerely. I am sorry I was bossy... And monstrous."

And another.

"And I am genuinely sorry... the end.

I ended the clip there and sat next to Wheatley, Bawling.

"It's alright dear, you'll be alright." I set him in my lap, he is just so sweet to me. He tried to kill me. How could he love me? How could I love him? I thought about what would've happened to him if the space junk didn't hit him into the atmosphere.

Nothing. Nothing would have happened to him. Not for decades upon decades. Which was unbearable. He would've been alone for all those years with nothing but another core who just rambled and did nothing else. I didn't want anyone in this world to experience that pain. It's the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. And then to know that my only REAL friend I've ever known experienced the same pain in the worst way possible. Because, I mean I wasn't completely alone. I had turrets, a companion cube, and GLaDOS. But Wheatley had nothing but stars to count for decades. And now, he has me. And I have him. I noted tonight in my journal, next to the morning he was talking about me in his sleep.

"It's alright. I'm fine now, I'm right here, on your lap, just fine. It's okay to cry."