Chapter 5: Proffessor Wheatley

I can't believe it! He's back! This is amazing!

"So you're probably wondering how I got back, aren't you?"

I was pretty curious. I nodded.

"Well it was just some space debris that hit us and bumped right into earths atmosphere. We got lucky and landed in that lake over there."

Okay, so I'm gonna have to ask for help here, Wheatley knows about this world, doesn't he?

During our walk back to BlueTown, Wheatley asked me if I knew a lot about this world, I shook my head, no.

"Okay, I'm gonna have to teach you a bit then.

That gray pathway over there is a sidewalk, that's where you walk. And the black pathway is where cars go by, you know what those are, don't you?" I nodded my head yes. I've heard them mentioned a few times and from what I know they can take you where you need to go faster than if you were walking.

Finally we were there, and Wheatley complimented the name of the town and had taught me about money, jobs, houses, parks, shops. It was a lot to take in, but I think I can handle it. Wheatley and I need a way to communicate. How else would I be able to tell him? I walked over to the shop and saw some notepads through a window. I pointed to it and Wheatley took notice. "Ah, I see, you need a notepad to communicate better." I made my wrist roll as if I were saying "aannd" "Oh, and you need money to buy it. Okay, five dollars isn't much, we can do that."

I was so glad he was there. He was just so nice to me. He was willing to teach me, he was sorry, and, like before I fell for his charming British accent.

"I just want you to know that this might not be so easy to get the money, if you've, you know, got the um, brain damage."

Wow. He even hesitated to give me information that only has a slight chance to offend me. He must really care for me.

"Alright, so what are our options, here? We've got... A shopkeeper, or a um... An artist"

I don't know much about this world, but I don't think he knows about very many jobs. Let alone easier ones. I told Wheatley and space to be very silent. I entered the shop and held Wheatley and Space behind the counter so that the clerk couldn't see them. I had an idea. What if there was a way I could do work for him and get money from it? It sounded like a good idea to me.

"Oh, Chell! Do you have anything you would like to buy?"

"No. I was wondering if there were any small jobs you needed to be done"

"We could use someone to restock our products."

"I'll be right back"

I walked out the door and Wheatley already knew what I wanted to ask.

"Restocking something is when a customer buys something and you put more things for them to buy back on the shelf, or whatever is holding the item."

I walked back in and told him that if he labeled each place where the product goes, then I'll take the job. He agreed and said that I would make twenty dollars. He set the boxes on the counter and I began working.

By the time I was finished, it was very late, I guess I would sleep in the field again, but first I purchased the notepad.

"There are no grudges being held, right?" Wheatley asked, sounding a bit frightened.

I shook my head and patted him soothingly. Why would he think that now, of all times?