chapter 4

Chapter Four

So I got a call from my mom during lunch saying she had to work late, which means I am now walking 2 1/2 miles to get to my house again. 'lovely' I thought sarcastically as I pulled my hoodie closer to me.

I suddenly got this weird feeling that I was being watched and my mind drifted into thoughts about that creepy Jeff guy.

"No Lyric! You cannot freak yourself out like that."I quietly chastised myself. But I could've sworn I saw a figure in a white hoodie in my peripherals. When I looked over though, whatever it was, or wasn't, was gone.

When I finally had only a few blocks to my house I noticed a small park that I hadn't seen before. I decided to rest there for a minute and take in the scenery, what little there was anyway. I sat down on a bench and rested until I heard a rustling coming from behind me.

I turned around and saw the entrance to a small trail through the trees, which I wasn't going to go into until I heard a soft "meow".

I slowly walked down the short trail that came to a clearing and found a pure white kitten with blue eyes staring up at me. I picked him up and he licked my nose.

"Aw, you're such a cute little guy aren't you? Why are you all alone out here?" He didn't have a collar on so he must be a stray.

Then I heard a much louder rustling from the trees in front of me, I knew it could only be from a human. I slowly looked up and saw a 5ft 11inch tall guy standing a few yards away from me. He had on a white hoodie with red stains, which I hoped wasn't blood. His hair was long and so black that it looked burnt and his face looked like white leather. He had a big grin cut into his face and he had no eyelids. What scared me more then the knife in his hand was the fact that I actually found him extremely attractive.

" Why didn't you accept my friend request?" he asked me looking strait into my eyes.

I didn't know what to do, so I did the first thing that came to my mind. I ran. I ran faster than I ever have in my entire 17 years and 11 1/2 months of living. I ran all the way to my house, kitten in my arms, and didn't look back until the front door was locked.

I set the cat down on the couch and ran to lock the back door. I ran to lock all the windows and I didn't stop running until the kitten, a kitchen knife and I were in the basement of my house away from danger. My heart was beating so fast and loud that I'm surprised the neighbors didn't hear.

I stayed down in the basement for about an hour until I got a call from my mother.

"Lyric! Where are you? I'm home and you're not here!"

I ran upstairs with the kitten and as soon as I saw my mom I set him down and hugged her so tight I 'm not sure how she could breath, and I just let the tears fall. As they streamed down my face she rubbed my back and soothed me until I could stop crying. When I was done, she led me to the couch and sat me down.

"Honey, what's wrong!? Did someone hurt you? Do I need to call the police?"she was talking really fast and I was just getting my breathing back to normal, so I hardly had any time to speak.

"No, mom. Something just scared me really bad in the woods today. It's no big deal." I lied wiping the tears from my eyes.

"Then why were you crying so much? It had to be somewhat of a big deal for a tough girl like you to get like this." she was looking in my face for any red flags that there was more going on.

So I put on my best pokerface, " No, I just tripped and fell into a small ditch with a snake in it, but I didn't get bitten. I'm okay really and I found a kitten." I lied.

"oh," she looked at the kitten for a second and back to me. "You can keep it if you promise to take care of it." she said as if she could read my mind.

"Thank you so much. I promise I'll take care of him forever and ever!" I said tackling her in a hug.

"Okay, okay. You're welcome, but don't break your promise."

" I won't I swear." I said cuddling the kitten.

"Well you're going to give him a name aren't you?" she asked petting his head.

"oh, yeah, " I thought for a second and got the perfect name."Grim." I said.

"Are you sure?" mother said.

"Positive." I said smiling. That night I slept with Grim in my bed.