happy praise to solemn days

It was the year 1988, and River Phoenix had the most perfect life any seventeen year old could ask for.

A large house, a loving mother, a hard working father, a new born baby brother, a loyal girlfriend, lots of friends, good grades, and a application sent to Berklee with high hopes. His senior life couldn't get any better.

River awoke to the alarm, he groaned and slapped the digital object off the nightstand.

"Wake up sweetie! It's time for breakfast!" Rivers mom called from down stairs.

He opened his eyes, and smiled. Excited for another great day. He sat up quickly, wide awake. Tossed the blanket off his legs and got up out of his unmade bed. He stretched, while walking to the closet to pick out a outfit for the day.

He settled on a grey pocket T-shirt and some dark wash jeans. He slipped on his brand new Chuck Taylor's, tied the last lace, and opened the door to his bedroom. He basically skipped to the bathroom across the hall, he opened the door and grabbed his tooth brush. He brushed his teeth, flossed, and ran his fingers through his hair. He smiled in satisfaction.

"River!" She yelled with a warning tone.

He rolled his eyes to his reflection, picking up his hand and making a mouth out of it, he babbled mockingly as if the hand was his mother.

"River get down here or your eggs will get cold!" She said this time louder, stepping up the stairs.

"River get down here or your eggs will get cold." He mumbled to himself, shaking his head dramatically as he exited the bathroom.

She caught him in the act as he started down the stairs, mumbling. He immediately stopped in his tracks, with a sheepish grin on his face, as he look into his mothers eyes at the middle of the stairs.

She broke a smile, "You're a moron." Turning around and headed down the stairs to the kitchen.

River laughed silently, pleased that he didn't get in trouble. He walked down the stairs following his mother to the table. He sat at his chair and eyed the scrambled eggs on his plate.

"You didn't mash up a pill and put it in here did you?" River tried keeping a strait face, looking at his mom.

She glanced up at him from the kitchen sink, faux whistling breaking eye contact and looking around the kitchen in silence. She broke a smile but kept her part as she puckered her lips and shimmied around as if music was escaping her mouth.

River laughed loudly and grabbed the ketchup from the table and squirted it on his eggs. She laughed along with him, rubbing a rag over a pan. He shoved a mouth full of eggs in his mouth and enjoyed his mothers company as they finished their tasks.

He got up and walked to the sink where his mom was, he playfully slammed the plate and fork down in the water and it splashed her on the chest, wetting her blouse.

She looked at him, her mouth wide open.

She smiled and quickly scooped up a handful of water, splashing it at him. He dart away, running up the stairs laughing historically because she missed him. He ran directly into his father, at the beginning of the stairs. His bounced right of his large belly, and staggered backwards.

His mother and his father boomed with laughter, and he couldn't help the heat forming in his cheeks. He playfully punched his dad on the shoulder, and he laughed along with them.

"Alright sport, get going to school before you're late." He chuckled, fixing his tux, and handed him his school bag.

Before he could say something, a cry came from upstairs. Rivers mothers face dropped, and she gathered a glare.