Chapter One: Hayley's Past.

||Catrina above||

~Catrina's Point Of View~

Leaves crunched and crackled under my feet with each step I took. The trees gave off a cozy feeling in the air and shimmied its way through the branches, making its mild temperature beam on my back. Up ahead, a so-called "mutant" growled and trudged awkwardly, making its way toward me. Slowly without hesitation, I whipped my knife out and aimed it at its head. As soon as the sharp weapon pierced its head, blood splattered on a nearby person-my father.

"Catrina! What on earth and God almighty are you doing out here?!" he screamed madly, wiping off blood on his clothes.

"I'm sorry, father," I replied, staring at my feet. His angry expression turned calmer.

"It's alright, but that didn't answer my question," he raised an eyebrow and eyed me up and down. I went to tell him, but a loud, high pitched scream interrupted me.

"Get to Alexandria, now!" he grabbed my hand and we ran all the way back to Alexandria. Or so he thought.

------

-Hayley's POV-

I grabbed my gun from my belt and shot the mutant in the head. Blood splattered on my shoes and legs, but I didn't care.

"I hope nobody heard my scream. Well, the undead and any living," I mumbled, shaking my head. I heard footsteps coming from behind me, so I quickly turned around and pointed my gun. A tall blonde was running towards me, aiming her gun at me as well. She had perfect white teeth and eyebrows- she looked like a princess considering what life was like now. Her silver watch on her left wist popped out. Normally I'd go all hostile on anyone I met in the wilderness, but something about her made her look innocent.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice sounding as sweet as honey. I put my gun back in my belt and stared at her.

"Hayley Williams. You?" I asked, almost forgetting that I was giving out information to a total stranger.

"Catrina Monroe, but you can call me Cat. Do you have a group?" Catrina asked, finally lowering her gun and putting it into her holster. I shook my head.

"CATRINA!!" an older man came running towards us at full speed and grabbed Catrina's arm. He looked at me and his brown eyes filled with worry.

"Father, this is Hayley Williams. She doesn't have a group, could she come with us?" Catrina asked.

Damn, this girl is too nice.

"Catrina, we know close to nothing about her. It wouldn't be wise to just let her in," the man, who I assumed was her overprotective dad, responded. I laughed quietly, then looked at him.

"What do you want to know?"

~~~~~~

~Catrina's POV~

"How old are you?" I asked her as we made our way back to Alexandria.

"15," she answered casually.

"Oh," I said quietly, "I'm 14." Hayley didn't say anything more as we continued along. I kicked rocks on the road with my shoes, seeing how far I could kick them along. Dad hummed an old tune. I hear him hum it often, but I never ask him the name of it.

*time skip*

After we finally got home, Hayley seemed thrilled to be here- not.

"So-uhm- Hayley.." We swung on the swing attached to my family's house as I waited for my mum to question Hayley.

"Yea?" she seemed mad about something. "Do you know where.. where you're family happens to be?" I asked as calmly as possible. She looked up and her eyes became hard with rage.

"Don't EVER talk to me about my family!" Hayley yelled clenching her fists, making them turn white. I started to tremble and shake my head.

"S-s-s-sorry!" I squealed in fear.

------

-Hayley's POV-

"Uh... Sorry, Catrina," I began, my sour expression turning calmer,"I just really hate talking about what happened to my parents... But I think I can make you an exception."

She smiled, then nodded.

"Right when the outbreak began, my mother told me that my dad was bit. She refused to shoot him and wouldn't let me have the pistol in the safe. I didn't know the code, and I wasn't allowed to touch any knives. So when my dad turned, my mom ended up getting bit too. I left the house with some supplies, and never went back," When I finished I looked down at the ground. I heard Catrina sigh.

"Do you mind going on?" She asked. I figured I could trust her, so I continued.

"After a day walking in the woods, I came across a group of men. Only men. They took my in, gave me food and shelter, and were friendly towards me for a while. But it turns out they only wanted to take advantage of me. They tricked me in to killing a little boy who they said was bit, but he wasn't. He was only stealing supplies... They even made me kill a few of their traitors. These men turned me in to a monster, Catrina, and it will show over time."

Her eyes widened and she kept staring at me.

"Wait... They hurt you too? You left, right?"

"Yes and yes," I pulled up my shirt a bit to reveal a huge bruise and scar on my hip. Catrina gasped.

"They... They did that to you...?" She questioned. I nodded.

"Yeah. Over time I was immune to the pain," I replied.