Eric’s eyes seemed to soften at the mention of his daughter’s name, his eyes drifting back to the sleeping figure in Allison’s arms and with a curt nod, he gave Allison approval to put the sleeping child to bed.

Allison didn’t hesitate and turned on her heel, heading for Chloe’s room. She carefully placed her in her bed and pulled the covers over her sleeping form. She tucked the little girl in, brushing her hair out of her face and then placed a soft kiss to her cheek.

She stood there for a while, just taking in the sight of her innocent, beautiful daughter, finding peace in her. Chloe was her everything, and if push came to shove, Allison knew she would do everything humanly possible to keep Chloe with her, to keep her safe.

But was Chloe safe from her father?

She knew that Eric wouldn’t intentionally do something that would hurt his own flesh and blood. At least the Eric she remembered from so long ago. But that Eric was gone and was now replaced with the hardcore, adult Eric Denton, who at the moment, waited for her to answer some of his questions.

Taking one last look at her girl, Allison stepped out into the tiny hallway, and leaving the door ajar, in case Chloe needed, she turned and walked the short distance to her living room.

She saw Eric standing by the mantel of the fireplace looking at all the pictures that lined the wall above it and at the ones that stood upon it. The wall had been plastered with many pictures of her and Chloe, Jen, Paul and the twins, as well as her own family. Eric picked one up and Allison could see it was one of Chloe at her sixth birthday party they’d held in their backyard.

She saw the frown that knotted his brow. He still had the hurt look in his eyes. But she honestly couldn’t blame him. To him all these photographs represented the many birthdays or significant moments in Chloe’s life that he missed out on and this only made Allison guiltier than what she was.

“I missed so many birthdays, her first steps, her first words, her first day at kindergarten.” His voice was hoarse with emotion and he gave a mirthless laugh, “And who knows what else I missed. So tell me Allison, what exactly were you thinking when you decided not to tell me about my own daughter, because she is my daughter right?” His voice had raised and he accusingly glared at her, “Of course she’s my daughter. She looks exactly like me.”

Allison flinched at the anger in his voice. She knew he had every right to be hurt and furious. She just felt so weak and small standing there under his gaze. All these years she’s had to build up her confidence and with one sentence he was able to break those defensive walls down.

“I’m sorry.” She croaked in a whisper.

“I – I couldn’t hear you,” he shifted closer to her, mockingly turning his ear in her direction to clearly hear her words, “what did you say?”

She knew he was mocking her, but she answered anyway, “I’m sorry.” She said a bit louder.

He started laughing then, but it was humourless, “You’re sorry. No, I’m sorry for ever loving such a cold hearted woman.”

That stung deeper than she was willing to let him see. The tears welled up in her eyes, but she blinked them back. She wouldn’t let him see how much he affected her. She was stronger than this. She had a weapon against his wrath and it was anger too.

“You’re right; I am a cold heart woman. But who was the one that made me that way?”

Eric’s eyes were alight with fire, “Oh, so you telling me that I’m the one to blame for you not telling me that I was going to be a father.”