Chapter 28 - Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

Fuck.

Just fucking fuck.

Louis didn't know which was worse; the fact that they came too late— after everything, they came too late or the look on Harry's face. For a brief second he was afraid that Harry might lose it and do something incredibly idiotic but then he realised that he was being stupid.

"Gemma, I...", Harry didn't finish and Louis understood him— what could he possibly say?

"I'm sorry about Anne."

Well, that. Louis slapped Harry's head, hard, and Harry glared at him, clearly realising the meaning behind the slap but not caring about it.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Harry?" Gemma asked, wiping her face. Louis felt so sorry for her, she looked really bad, like she hadn't slept properly in ages. Which, when Louis started thinking about it, probably was the case.

"I'm sorry about your mother", Louis blurted out without meaning to.

Gemma's eyes turned to stare at him and Louis was fairly sure he saw flames inside of them. "Who the hell are you? Someone better give me answer right fucking now!"

Louis wanted to do just that but Harry didn't give him a chance to even open his mouth.

"Now is not the time." Harry's eyes traveled around. "Where's Robin?"

"You mean our father?" Gemma's voice was now far from sad, it was full of anger and disbelief. "Dead. For six months already."

It was Louis' turn to look like he was going to lose it. Dead? Oh, shit. Louis gulped when Harry slowly turned around to glare at him. "I didn't know, I swear", Louis defended himself before Harry could say anything.

Harry narrowed his eyes but Louis saw that he believed him. Gemma stepped closer, shaking her head. "What happened to you, Harry? You're not the same, you're more... distant." She spread her arms. "I told you our mother and father are dead and you act like it's no big deal."

Louis closed his eyes and prayed that Harry wouldn't say something stupid like, It's not a big deal, or—

"Robin was not my father."

Or that. Louis had a sudden urge to slap Harry again.

"Of course he was, he was always like a father to us— what's going on with you?"

"Gemma!" Harry yelled, causing Gemma to snap her mouth shut in a shock. "Right now we don't have time for this, no time to wonder what happened to me or dwell on misery because of Anne and Robin—"

"Your mom and dad— it's not that hard to say", Louis muttered under his breath. Why couldn't Harry call them mom and dad anymore? If he didn't consider them as his parents, then he could do it for Gemma. Yes, Louis knew that Robin wasn't really Harry's father in any way but who would choose their biological dad over their stepdad when the said biological dad is Troy? "Just call them mom and dad, for Gemma."

"Who. The hell. Are. You?" Gemma snapped, "and what the hell are you doing here?"

"I'm...", what? What could Louis say? Harry's stepbrother? Second-hand kidnapper? "I'm— eh..."

"He's Louis", Harry said simply, rolling his eyes at Louis. O-kay, maybe Louis was overthinking things a bit but it's not like there's no reason for that.

"Right, yes— I'm Louis."

"Uh-huh." Gemma crossed her arms. "As happy as I am to see you alive and surprisingly healthy, Harry, you have to explain what is going on and what happened."