38-That which you get when Renounced

Arron's POV

The night gets darker.

Lost in the sounds of celebrations, fake laughter and cheers...

I took another sip of the wine glass.

The courtesan pours me another glass with a seductive smile.

Behind the closed doors, these men who claim themselves to be "noble" indulged in cheap pleasures of liquor, drugs and women.

Victor who was seated just beside me, asks "What's wrong? Do you not like this one?"

I realise he is pointing towards the courtesan as I didn't lay my hands on her yet.

"I don't feel like it" I reply.

"Is it? Then why don't you pick another one! All these whores belong to us today!!" He laughs.

"But I must say you hold your liquor very well" Marquess Rivalls comments.

"I know right? Hah! I refused to believe a brat like this has got his tails tugged between his legs, following his wife around like an obedient dog!" Victor comments.

The room fills with laughter.

Except for Christopher who sits alone at a corner surrounded by half naked women swooning over him.

"That's true, that woman...She doesn't deserve a husband! I mean which sane man will marry a woman like that? A woman's place is in the kitchen, serving her husband and his children. I don't understand how could she get educated or ride a horse, or worse even pick up a sword??" Another man rebukes.

"Because of her influence, my wife keeps on wanting to learn continental language!"

"Goodness! Isn't the continental language only reserved for learned men! Even I do not know how to read it!!"

"That's because the Duchess is educated in it! She knows how to read, write and speak it fluently!"

"I know that!! Even my wife has mentioned of it! She never received any formal education and is always mentioning of her whenever I try to make her understand that a noblewoman does not need any! That's what I am here for!"

"Oh god! My wife even speaks about running her own store and earning outside like commoners!"

"You guys clearly do not discipline your wives enough! If she doesn't obey her husband, what's wrong with picking up the cane?" Victor laughs.

"You are absolutely right Sir Victor! I must show her who's the man today!!" Says a drunk Rivalls chugging down the bottle.

"Hahaha!! But you all must know the root cause of this...Its definately the Duchess Rosetta Rowells!!" Victor says.

"We all know it Victor...but what can we even do about it? Well she is quite powerful as it is..."

"Well that's true...I mean women are incapable of handling power. I mean what can we even do if a noblewoman like her has rumoured affairs..." Victor says.

I immediately turn towards him.

So does Christopher.

"What? What do you mean?" Another man questions curiously.

"I mean if we go by the rumours then, that proud upright Duchess is very close with a knight. Maybe even now they are..."

*SMASH*

Christopher smashes his glass on the floor.

Gasps escape the from mouths of the courtesans and the crowd.