35-The prayers of a sinner

It was the day of the masquerade ball.

This would be my first masquerade ball in Rosetta's body. And frankly the first big event in my entire life!

Born to a middle class family, I never had chances to attend big events like these in my previous life.

To say that I'm overwhelmed, would be an understatement.

But not only that, this party would give me a very good chance to build my own network.

Its a good opportunity to use Rosetta's reputation and power to build good connections!

Connections are very important in high society.

You never know what politics are going on behind your back.

The current emperor Versailles Dominic De Rialto III was born to a mere low ranking, knight. After the death of his father, he joined the imperial army and surprisingly, he rose up through ranks in no time. He was a skilled warrior with sharp wits. His work in subjuating the northern rebels brought in great deal of attention from the previous emperor. Soon he became the previous emperor's closest confidant, after being recognized for his skills. He even offered his daughter's hand for marriage to him.

And after the assassination of the previous emperor, he dethroned his successor and declared himself the new emperor.

His story was spread widely accross the nation and the people loved their new emperor because to them he was one of their people. He had nothing, no noble bood, no high birth or wealth. He earned his position through his own skills and calibre. This gave him the commoners support and he was popularly known as the people's emperor.

But what got him so far wasn't his skills in the battlefield or his bravery...

It was because of how well he played the politics of high society.

The current emperor, who's birth name was, Zoran was liked by the nobles very well, mainly because of his mannerism and fine ways of speaking. Unlike the rough and rugged knights, Zoran was soft spoken yet friendly. This instantly made the nobleclassmen like him very much.

And not only that, he was also very smart and charming. His charm along with his victories, caught the eyes of the previous emperor and Zoran soon became to be his closest confidant.

It was said that the emperor started taking his advice for very important decisions instead of consulting with his ministers.

Truly, he was a man blessed with a lot of charm and brains!

Not having any noble blood or belonging to high birth or wealth...

His story is an inspiration to many!

If I want to defeat my enemies, I would need power and connections on my side.

But I wonder if it's really possible for me.

Afterall no one likes to see a woman in power...

If I want to help aunt Selene get back her rightful property, and if I want to keep my title and estate, I would need power and connections.

And what better way to do it, than the imperial masquerade ball!

But if Sir Victor and Derek's plan succeed today, I will never be able to return back to the high society or maybe even keep my title.

I can't be scared of them and just sit back. I must find a way!

I have already sent Lorenzo far away and, that night, according to Mari...

"What's wrong Mari? You look like you have seen a ghost?"

"I...I have seen much worse."

"Oh? What happened?"