Vol. 4 Chapter 10: A Fortunate Surprise

[15th December, 16.41]

[Kurushima Pov]

"Kaoru, I'm here," Hiyori said, winking at me.

"Oh...? I'm the one that's suddenly late now, huh...?"

Well, I also just got eleven minutes ago off from the student council, so it's inclined to that, rather. Although we were supposed to meet-up at fifty, more precise.

She's clearly since a couple of minutes here. Knowing this, I felt somehow the urge to smile.

"You're not late... I'm just too early here..." she says, looking at my smile, suddenly.

"You're right, I suppose."

I felt Hiyori looking at me, slightly embarrassed.

"Kaoru, whenever the two of us meet up, you're there before me. It's the first time I've arrived sooner than you, today here."

"Must be a simple coincidence."

I tried on playing it off, but she looked at my face, with a simple pout.

"You don't want to admit it...? That you're always trying to be soon there?"

I tried on looking towards the side, but her gaze never left my body.

"Kaoru..."

"Hm?"

"Can I... hug you...?"

"Of course. But you don't have to ask, Hiyori."

She nodded, slightly.

Feeling the oncoming hug from her, I felt how I was smiling, once again. Around here, I'm becoming more and more humanly.

Something I thought I had lost...

--

"Kaoru, remember, be always kind to other's."

I did a small nod, reading my book further, not paying much attention to Mother.

"You know, you should try on socializing more. If it's not Kyo or Kaori, you rarely speak to other children."

"Because... the things they do are plain and boring. I'd rather read my book further in peace, instead of playing around."

Smiling at me, knowing she could not convince me, she looked at my book.

"Oh...? What book are you reading?"

"Book I: from 'The Republic', by Plato."

My Mother slightly smiled. "You're interested in these kinds of things so suddenly. Why is that?" she asked me, teasingly.

"I'm not sure... truthfully... I just felt like I wanted to read something else besides books from the Mystery Genre now..."

"How many mystery books did you read, until now, then, Kaoru?"

"9.359 Mystery Books, I think..."

"My, my, you surpassed my record already..."

"It's because you're always working, Mother. I'm used to reading them alone in the Kindergarten or after the Kindergarten, when either Kaori or Kyo are not at home."

"You love them really much, don't you, Kaoru?"

"Of course... I do..." Feeling embarrassed, I turned myself to the side.

"My son is so embarrassed. How cute!"

My Mother moved towards me, engulfing me in her arms.