"O-one thousand?!" I exclaim in disbelief, in awe at such a huge count. Is it possible to dribble a soccer ball one thousand times without it ever touching the ground? Avery makes it looks as easy as breathing air when in truth, it would take me years and years of training to muster up the talent to do just two perfect dribbles!  

Such talent...

I'm slightly intimidated being near her but Avery acts indifferent to her talent. I even see a hint of disappointment displayed in her eyes before she shakes it off and looks in my direction. Avery kicks her ball into the air and catches it with her hands before she sits down on the bench beside me. "Now that you have my undivided attention, what can I help you with?"

I'm stuck in a state of confusion, lost by Avery's words. It takes me a minute to remember why I came to Kennan Wellness Center instead of going to Beacon High. In all my seventeen years, I have never skipped school. The only times I missed classes if an unexpected flu stroke or if my family pulled me out of school a few days before any major breaks for family vacations to the cabin. I'm not a rebel and I'm not ashamed to say that my school attendance is almost perfect and yet, here I am, skipping school to come to one of New York's massive wellness centers; a place I'm rarely ever seen at. 

Actually, I've never been to Kennan before but seeing this facility with all its brand new equipment and grand work out zones, I can see why many people come here, including Avery. 

It's why I am here; to see Avery. "I need your advice."

For the first time since I arrived at the large building center, Avery gives me a welcoming smile. "I'm always happy to share my words of wisdom with you so, what seems to be the problem today?" It's like she pulled a switch and became a total different person. This is not the Avery I witnessed seconds ago who was overcome by determination so much, she didn't have the time to smile or laugh. This is the goofy Avery who is back to acting her right youthful age. 

I never new soccer could change a person so much. 

Avery holds up her hand in the air to prevent me from speaking. Not like I was going to anyway. I'm still suffering from the shock of Avery's personality flip. "No, wait! Let me guess!" She says in delight, excitement radiating from her gleeful smile. "This has something to do with that Reece guy!"

I stare at her blankly, attempting to maintain a neutral expression while I rage on the inside. How did she know? Am I seriously that transparent? Then again, the last time we had a conversation, it did end up revolving around Reece. I swallow hesitantly but nod my head. 

Avery fits bump the air with both arms. "I knew it!" She yells out to the world, earning the attention of a few individuals who are working out nearby. "So what did the guy do this time? You're not crying this time around, so that's gotta be a plus." 

I chuckle lightly, remembering how Avery ended up bumping into me by fluke at Central park while I was crying on one of the benches by myself. "I decided to contain the frustration this time around instead of letting it all go."

Avery nods her head in agreement. "Good call because I never know what to do when people cry. I always end up making fun of them by accident."

I laugh. "That's so true. You made fun of me too, stating how weird it was to be crying outside, at the park." 

"Well, I'm right. It is weird! That's what our couches are for!" Avery states and we both burst out laughing when we realize that those are close to the exact same words Avery said to me at the park. "Okay, okay. Seriously though, what did Reece do?" 

I sober up and sigh, sinking down into the bench. "He's confusing me, that's what! Saying that he cares for me but we can't be together then leading me on false hope." I explain to the fourteen year old.