Chapter 61 : Witness

KATELIN

The sound of Yandra's scream pierces through my haze of fear.

"Kate, are you all right?"

Mary's usually cool voice is ragged with anxiety. I open my eyes to see her crouching over the accountant who is sitting on the floor, slumped against the curtains. No, not sitting. Not like he felt tired and decided to take a rest on the floor. Because there's an ugly bullet hole in his forehead right above the spot between his eyes.

I look down and, not finding a wound or blood anywhere on myself, nod.

"Sorry," Mary said. She's double checking the accountant's pulse. "I completely forgot about the balcony."

"So did it." I turn to see Yandra wrapped in a towel, her hair and skin soaking wet from the bath. "Yandra, are you okay?"

"Dios mio," she whispers. Her eyes are wide with fear and shock as she stares at the accountant. "Who is that?"

"We don't know," Mary says, getting up. "But he was armed. Don't worry, he's dead now. I'm going to call the police. Don't touch anything." She pulls out a vibrating phone from her pocket and answers the call. "Enrico? We're fine. Unknown armed man broke into Ms. Lopez's apartment. I took him down."

She walks out of the room as she gives Enrico instructions. It's then that I notice my own phone is buzzing in my pocket.

"Shit," I mutter when I see it's a call from Raul. Did Mary tell him where we were? I deliberately didn't tell him I was coming here because I didn't want him to worry in case I was wrong about Yandra being in danger. Swiping to answer the call, I hold the phone up against my ear. "Raul?"

"Are you all right?" He nearly growls out the words.

"I'm fine," I assure him. "I'm here at Yandra's. Just thought I'd, uh, drop by for a visit."

"Where's Mary? Enrico heard a gunshot."

"Uhm yeah, so ... Mary shot this guy. He broke into Yandra's apartment and he had a gun."

He lets out a string of Spanish curses. Which, I'm ashamed to say, I find kind of sexy. What's wrong with me? Yandra must be frightened out of her mind right now.

She is sitting on the bed, still staring at the lifeless body of the accountant.

"Look," I say. "Yandra could be in shock; I need to check on her. We're all out of danger, I think. The police are on their way. I'll see you when you get here, okay?"

Still furious, Raul reluctantly concedes. I hang up.

"Is there another room you can get dressed in?" I ask Yandra. "I'm afraid we can't move this guy—" I gesture at the accountant awkwardly "—until the police get here."

"No, it's fine," she says, still staring at the guy. "I can change in the bathroom."

"I'll stay right here."

She finally tears her gaze away from him and turns to me. "Thank you." She gives me a grateful smile. "It is kinda creepy, him just lying there. I'll be quick."

***

My biggest worry was that Mary would get into trouble. Sure, she shot a man because he was about to shoot me, but prisons are full of women who've killed men in self defense. To my relief, none of the cops tried to arrest her. They did get statements from all of us — me, Mary, Yandra, and even Raul and Enrico.

"So what do you think happened?" I whisper to Mary. She, Yandra, and I are sitting in the car, waiting while Raul paces back and forth outside, yelling at someone on the phone.