Chapter 26 : Confession

Raul's POV

"What aren't you telling me, Raul?"

The fact that Marcus knows me so well is extremely annoying right now. I've hardly ever had the need or desire to lie to him. That is, until today.

Giles chose that moment to come in with a tray of another café con leche and a coffee in a French press.

"Thank you, Giles," I say, grateful for the interruption. Not that I think Marcus is going to let this go. But Giles's arrival gives me time to decide how I'm going to confess my past sin.

I wait until the butler leaves, carrying away Marcus's breakfast plate. "Four years ago," I say slowly, "Yandra and I had an affair."

Marcus pauses in the act of pouring out coffee from the French press. He puts it down and frowns at me. "Was that after her engagement ended?" he says.

"No, she was still engaged." I sigh and give him a look that said, I know, I know. "It was only for a few weeks and we kept it a secret. For obvious reasons."

He nods. "You think she told anyone?"

I shrug. "No idea. Her ex-fiancé didn't try to come and shoot me, so I doubt she told him."

After a long silence, he finally speaks. "Are you telling Nico? You realize that if they're dating, in a way she's going to be part of the family."

"No, but I'm confronting Yandra about it. I expect she'll avoid Nico after I tell her I found her out."

"Let's hope. Is there anyone else?" He cocks an eyebrow at me.

"Anyone else?"

"Are there any other women trying to get into your pants?" He narrows his eyes. "Or has one of them already succeeded?"

"No."

"Aren't you allowed one mistress a year?"

"That's what we agreed to, yes. But I haven't... I don't think it's a good time for it."

"With the board breathing down your neck, you may want to put that off until next year."

"Trust me, that's the last thing on my mind right now."

"What about Kate?"

His question takes me off guard. "What about her?"

He raises his eyebrow. "Has she taken a lover yet? That would also be a scandal if it gets out." Leaning back in his chair, he crosses his arms over his chest thoughtfully. "The board might get it into their heads that maybe your marriage was mostly for convenience."

"Don't be ridiculous. Kate's..." I frown. There's no reason why she'd tell me if she does have a lover. "She's too busy with the wedding plans," I add, trying not to sound too annoyed.

"Have you asked her?"

"No." Fuck. "I don't have to. She'd tell me."

"Does she know you don't have a lover?"

"Yes."

"Is that what you told her?"

"No." I clench my jaw. "I don't have to."

"Uh-huh."

"Did you have sex with Gigi?"

"Excuse me?"

"My ex-fiancée. Did you sleep with her?"

"It's none of your business."

I'm sure I'm not imagining the way his face flushes. It's an interesting development, but he's right, it's none of my business. He and Gigi are adults who are free to do whatever they want with each other. Besides, I have more pressing matters to concern me.