chapter 102

Chapter 102: The Murder Case: Soldiers Officers Knock on Sisi’s Door and Her Heart Becomes Chaotic

Watching the disappearing figure, Liu Sisi, full of confusion, made her way home across the small stream.

Before she reached the front door, from afar she noticed something unusual.

The water in the canal next to the small path that usually ran clear was now incredibly murky, carrying yellowish-brown mud.

Scaling the small hill, two little puppies came bounding towards her, their joyful barking ringing out. They frolicked around the three of them, playing with the two children.

The two children were very well-behaved, staying close to her, neither crying nor fussing.

Such a long distance to and from, YingEr was still okay as Liu Sisi could carry her, but Di Xuan had to rely on his own feet which was quite tiring. It seemed that it wasn’t sustainable to always bring the two children along for their errands. She would have to think of a better solution.

Arriving at the courtyard, she heard noises coming from inside the house. She hurriedly quickened her pace into the courtyard. The noise was coming from near the north-west corner. As Liu Sisi carefully approached to take a look, she immediately let out a sigh of relief.

Turns out, it was Di Yelei digging a well.

In the past, Di Yelei would fetch water from the ancient well in the village. With his strong physique and quick speed, obtaining water never troubled Liu Sisi.

The shadow in the sky caused Di Yelei to raise his head. With his head covered in mud, he smiled at Liu Sisi and said, “Sisi, you are back!”

While speaking, he climbed out of the well in an agile manner, using both limbs to push against the well’s walls, then leaped out of the opening of the well.

Sitting on the ground and wiping the sweat, he said, panting heavily, “Last time you said we could dig a well here. That way, for laundry and stuff, we won’t have to go to the riverside. Today, after I got back from the old house, I figured I’d complete the well.”

On his honest and bronze-colored face, covered in dirt and splattered mud, was a cautious, obsequious look as he gazed at Liu Sisi with a pitiful look.

Liu Sisi felt something stir within her!

She wanted to say something, her lips moved, but in the end, no words came out, so she simply turned around and decided to leave.

“Sisi…”

Di Yelei’s call echoed from behind her, filled with inexplicable panic.

Liu Sisi stopped in her tracks and quietly sighed, “I’ll go cook lunch.”

“Ah! I’ve marinated some rabbit meat by the chimney. You take it down and cook some of it!”

Di Yelei’s voice sounded crisp and exuberant, indicating his excitement.

Liu Sisi didn’t answer and quickly walked into the kitchen.

Did Sisi not rejecting him this time mean that she had forgiven him?

Di Yelei couldn’t help but beam, as he looked down at the half-dug well. Suddenly, he felt full of energy.

Sisi forgave me!

He laughed heartily a few times and jumped right back into the well.

The noise from behind startled Liu Sisi!

She rushed back toward the well. Hearing the sound of stones being struck again, she finally breathed a sigh of relief.

But then she grew frustrated again!