chapter 100

Chapter 100: He Li: Sisi’s Heartache and the Urgency to Make Money

The Three Character Classic has only 1145 characters. Liu Sisi copied it by an oil lamp until she finished and then went to bed.

She almost couldn’t sleep, feeling like the rooster crowed outside almost as soon as she closed her eyes.

Liu Sisi didn’t feel like sleeping any more, so she got up, washed hastily, and started cooking. Di Yelei didn’t come home last night, and Liu Sisi didn’t know where he went, nor did she want to inquire about it.

After eating, Liu Sisi once again took the two children to the small town.

Although she knew that the responsibility for the two children was not hers, she could not bring herself to leave them alone at home.

Just as she blended into the darkness, Di Yelei’s figure emerged from behind the house.

Looking at the stubborn outline of her back, he couldn’t help clenching his fists – at least she hadn’t left the children behind. Did this mean that she still had him in her heart?

He consoled his confused heart.

Liu Sisi hurried along the night road, walking shallowly and deeply, passing by where the corpse had been dug up yesterday, and couldn’t help speeding up. She always felt chills creeping up her back, which was very uncomfortable.

When she arrived at the entrance of the town, she saw several officers in uniforms of the governmental office’s runners, rushing towards her head-on.

The leader of the officers was the tall man she had seen yesterday, who frowned deeply in the shape of a river.

He clearly noticed her too, his sharp eyes sweeping over her body like a snake’s kiss, which made Liu Sisi shiver involuntarily.

Before she could do anything, the group of men passed by her and walked quickly away down the road.

Cold sweat poured down her back!

This man’s murderous aura was too strong!

Liu Sisi wiped her forehead and hurried with the two children towards the bookstore. To her surprise, the main entrance of the bookstore was half-open and already welcoming customers. Upon seeing Liu Sisi’s arrival, Nan Tianzong raised his thick eyebrows in surprise.

“Oh? What brings you here today?”

“I’m here to return this copy of the Three Character Classic.”

Liu Sisi quickly handed over the copy she had written the night before.

“So quickly?”

Nan Tianzong was surprised to take it, flipping through it casually. The handwriting was exceptionally neat and concise, not inferior to that of a man’s.

“The handwriting is excellent. But you’ve been working too hard. I gave you the job yesterday afternoon, and you’re back with it this early morning. Did you not sleep at all last night?”

No wonder he asked. Liu Sisi’s complexion was very poor today, pale and obviously not well rested.

Liu Sisi shook her head with a faint smile: “It’s nothing. Just that something happened at home and we need some silver urgently. So I thought I’d take on more copying work to help with the cost.”

That made sense.

Nan Tianzong secretly nodded his head. If not for a major change at home, why would a woman who can read and write take a job as a waiter?