file 035 | holding on and letting go

episodes 304 — the trembling police headquarters: 12 million hostages

"Well, you can get the guy for me."

"Are you trying to get on my nerves?"

A laugh. "Can't take a joke? I'm not a klutz."

"Anyway, finish ASAP and get on back here. I'll buy you a drink tonight."

"Lucky me! You lured me into full throttle. I'm gonna work at full speed."

Five seconds later, the bomb blew up the entire floor.

"HAGIWARA!"

Hiro blinked and frowned when he heard the yell. "Another year," he sighed, shoulders slumping. He stood in his friend's kitchen after staying the night, like he always did this time of year for the past three years now. "Just another year..."

~ — — — ~

"It's testing time already?" Suzume muttered into the phone, rubbing her temples. "Time really does fly, huh?"

Ran giggled on the other end. "Ah, come on. How about you come over and study with Sonoko and I?" she proposed. "It'll be fun!"

"Ran, no offense, but Sonoko will do nothing but pester me about my love life with you, and I am not ready for that," Suzume said, earning an amused look from Hiro, who was drying some dishes. "Besides, I'm already busy with other things, so..."

"It's that time of year, I nearly forgot," Ran murmured in surprise. "Is he...?"

"No, he's not," Suzume answered with a sigh. "Well, if you do need anything, I'll be at the Haido Shopping Mall with the kids."

"Haido Shopping Mall? Oh, are the kid's wanting to go on the Ferris Wheel?"

Suzume paused and threw a glance over her shoulder at the shut bedroom door. "No clue. FOr my sanity, I hope not, but when do things ever go my way?"

November 7th, Monday. Up until seven years ago, I really had nothing to worry about. Then three years ago, I began to hate November 7th. Now...I don't know what to think of it anymore...

~ — — — ~

"Everybody. Let me introduce Matsuda Jinpei-san. He will start working with us as of today in the Criminal Investigation Section. He has been in the Security Department, Special Task Force, and I'd say that he is a bit of a stranger here."

"We can do without that kind of introduction, Inspector. I'm not exactly a new kid from the country. And I don't think this show and tell about me would be of any use to anybody. I was stationed where I don't want to be and I'm upset about it."

"W-Well then, Officer Sato! You help him out and..."

"Me, sir?"

"Don't shy away! He is here for certain reasons, and they asked me in person to play along. Will you take care of him?"

"Yes, sir."

~ — — — ~

"Hey, what kind of questioning was that supposed to be? Questioning people like a mobster like that, nobody will answer you. Gosh. You have been with us for six days now. Why don't you listen to me and do as I say? Oh, you got mail? You're pretty fast."

"Yeah. I just happen to be clever with my fingers."

"Are you mailing your girlfriend?"

"No. I'm sending my best friend mail, though I know he's not going to write back to me because he blew up four years ago."