file 006 | the roller coaster murder case

The next day after school, Suzume was walking home while reading the newspaper, easily avoiding bumping into anyone after years of practice. She ignored the gossip of the girls and boys she passed who were talking about the case she solved last night as she was not interested in any of it. She already received an email of praise from Pierrot-san and her parents, and that was enough for her.

She ducked to avoid getting hit by Ran's bag. She turned to her with a nervous face as she saw Ran's deadpan. "Sorry about the tournament, Ran," she said with a sad smile. "Sonoko told me you won, as did your parents. Congrats."

Ran hummed as they began to walk together. "Thank you. Though, you are stealing cases away from my dad... Totally doesn't make me angry at all." She stuck her tongue out.

Suzume let out a nervous laugh. "You know that's not entirely my fault," she said.

Ran let out a mocking laugh before punching the light pole next to Suzume, causing pieces of it to crumble off. "As I said, I'm not angry at all."

When did I say you weren't? Suzume kept that thought to herself. That's the captain of the karate team for you...

"Did you get any more of those fan letters?" Ran asked curiously, her anger having calmed after punching the light post.

Suzume twitched and pulled some out of her uniform jacket, grimacing. "Pierrot-san just tells me to burn them." She looked at Ran. "What do you think?"

"Burn them," Ran agreed immediately, making Suzume sweatdrop. "I can do it for you, or even Mom or Dad."

Suzume laughed nervously. She was thankful to have so many people care about her, but this was a little...overprotective.

"Seriously though," Ran said, getting Suzume's attention. "If you keep chasing crimes like this, one day you'll get into a lot of trouble."

"Yeah, I know," she agreed.

"Then why?"

Suzume smiled. "That day on the beach, with Pierrot-san," she started, Ran looking at her. "It was like nothing I've ever felt before. Being able to solve a crime and lock up the person responsible...I can't think of a better feeling. It's like you when you win a match in a karate tournament. You know, the feeling of satisfaction when you've beaten your opponents and come out on top?" Ran nodded. "It feels like that."

Ran nodded in understanding before remembering. "Are we still on for tomorrow?"

Suzume blinked before smiling. "Ah, Tropical Land, right?" she remembered. "Of course. Everything on me, yeah?"

Ran grinned. "Yep!"

"Alright, then!" Suzume laughed. "We'll meet up tomorrow at your house at ten so I can drive us! That okay?"

"Yep! See you then!"

"See ya!"

~ — — — ~

Meanwhile, in the white car that Ran and Suzume walked past...

"No way! We finally came back to Japan and we have to return without meeting our daughter!" a woman complained in the passenger seat. "I wanted to surprise Suzu-chan and made this disguise—" Yukiko pulled off her mask, frowning, "and now we're leaving?"

"Well, we returned to Japan just to take some old documents," the driver reminded. "Let's leave this disguise for another time." Yusaku pulled up his mask and top hat. "Besides...looks like we would be interrupting something."

They watch Suzume grin at Ran after the Mouri girl said something to amuse her, and their daughter wrapped an arm around her friend's shoulders.

Yukiko groaned. "I want to tease Suzu-chan!"