file 004 | golden apple

episodes 286—288 — suzume's new york case

Ran slowly began to wake up from her spot in the backseat of the car. She blinked slowly and looked off to the side, her eyes widening as she saw the Statue of Liberty in the distance. "Wait a second... Isn't that—!"

"The Statue of Liberty," Suzume answered in English, glancing over her shoulder from her spot in the passenger seat. "In Japan, it's called Jiyu no Megumi. Though, from my last visit, I've heard New Yorkers call her Miss Liberty."

"For goodness sake, why didn't you wake me up?" Ran asked, frowning. "I was really looking forward to seeing the night view of the city from the Brooklyn Bridge!" She whined. "And look, we're almost at the end of the bridge already!"

Suzume smiled nervously, looking back at Ran. "If you had tried to get some sleep on the plane, you wouldn't have fallen asleep on the drive."

"How could I sleep after that last case?" Ran asked her. "I'm not like some people who can fall fast asleep after being satisfied they solved a case."

"That wasn't the only reason I fell asleep, you know," Suzume grumbled to herself.

"Just listen to you two, this romantic view of the city would charm every couple in the world," Yukiko mused, making them look at her. "Are you two having a lover's spat? How I envy you."

Suzume sighed. "This is your fault, Mom," she groaned. "We weren't supposed to get to New York until tomorrow, but the minute we arrived in LA, you made us get on another plane for New York!"

"I didn't have a choice. I wanted to see this musical. I didn't think I could get the tickets, but I did," Yukiko explained happily.

Suzume paused. "I'm sorry, did you say musical?"

Yukiko hummed before pointing at a sign on top of a taxi cab. "That one, see?"

Both girls looked over and saw the words "Golden Apple" on the sign in English.

"I heard it's pretty popular right now," Suzume said, tilting her head.

"That's right. Broadway's Phantom Theater, 8 PM," Yukiko told them and giggled. "I'm so excited!"

Police sirens filled the air as several police cars drove the opposite way the Kudos and Mouri were going.

"There sure seem to be a lot of police cars on the road tonight, don't you think?" Ran wondered.

Suzume sighed. "Probably going after that slasher," she said.

Ran gave her an alarmed look. "Slasher?"

"I heard the slasher's Japanese and only goes after young women," Suzume recalled. She liked to keep up to date on what was going on everywhere, not just in Japan. She supposed it was a habit her father got her into.

"You don't have to worry. He only appears after midnight," Yukiko reassured Ran. "You won't run into him as long as we get back to the hotel by then. Besides, it isn't even 6 PM yet."

Suzume glanced at her watch. "Don't you mean 7 PM? We're on daylight savings time now."

"Eh?" Yukiko checked her own watch before letting out a surprised noise. "Oh, no! It slipped my mind completely! Starting the first Sunday in April, we set our clocks one hour ahead, don't we? Oh, no!"

"What's got you panicking like that?" Suzume frowned with concern. "It'll only take about forty minutes to get to Broadway from here. And it's not even 7 PM, so we'll get there with plenty of time left."