file 022 | the clock tower heist

ONE YEAR AGO

"I don't know what you're planning, but I wouldn't go through with this one if I were you."

"How many times do I have to tell you? I'm not Kid!"

"'When the 20,000th song is sung from the historic tower whence it carries, the demon of light will fly from the east and strike down the sinner in white, for whom the bell tolls disaster'."

"Huh? Is that supposed to be my fortune or something?"

"It's no mere fortune. It is a prophecy imparted to me by the vile Lucifer."

"L-Luci—"

"And it just so happens that that time will come...on the same night you've scheduled in your notice. Whether you believe it or not is entirely up to you."

~ — — — ~

"All patrol cars and helicopters around the clock tower: contact me the moment you spot anyone suspicious!" Inspector Nakamori ordered into the radio. "To the guards in each block of the tower: no one gets through without my approval!"

"Do you really think Kid will show, Inspector Nakamori?" Detective Konno asked from beside him. Nakamori made a questioning noise. "'On Saturday night, underneath the full moon, I will appear before you at the stroke of midnight to take the towering clock from your side. Kaito Kid.' But you'd need a crane to steal something that big..."

Konno chuckled but quickly stopped when Nakamori grabbed onto his tie and got in his face. "You idiot!" the inspector roared. "If he says he'll steal it, then he'll steal it!"

"It's the hands of the clock," a man spoke up. It was Takarada Futoshi, the current owner of the clock tower. "50 years ago, as mayor, my father spent a fortune to have them crafted by a famous clockmaker overseas. There are very large diamonds embedded in the hour hand, making the clock a highly valued piece of art. I'd bank on those jewels being what he's after."

"Why's the clock tower's owner in here?" Nakamori muttered into Konno's ear quietly.

"He insisted on seeing the security measures with his own eyes," Konno replied.

"Regardless, please protect it," Takarada said, regaining their attention. "I inherited this beloved clock tower from my late father, so make sure you save it from the clutches of that petty thief and his heist notice."

Nakamori nodded. "We'll get it done."

~ — — — ~

"Only 28 minutes and 30 seconds until the time of my notice...Well then, Sergeant Sensui Yoichi from Ekoda, twenty-seven, and single...I'll be borrowing your name and face!"

~ — — — ~

"That's an incredible crowd," Takarada remarked as he looked over the large crowd of people chanting 'Kid' over and over.

"Oh, sir!" Hosokawa Sujio greeted his boss. "How is everything inside?"

"Perfect. Not even an ant could sneak in." Takarada smirked.

"But will everything still go smoothly? The theme park is saying that if transportation can't start tomorrow, it'll be too late to have the tower for opening day and they'll have to cancel the purchase," Hosokawa said worriedly. "And if Kid steals the jewels from the hour hand and realizes the truth..."

Takarada quickly shushed his assistant. "We're the only ones who know I sold off the diamonds and replaced them with replicas. And with Kid targeting jewels, their value has skyrocketed. Now's the best time to sell. If they find out they've got fakes after relocation, that's none of my business. Either way, great and elusive thief or not, there's no way he can steal such a huge clock in front of so many people."