file 034 | the big reveal

His foot stopped tapping, much to the relief of everyone in the room, when he received a text message from Agasa.

From: Prof. Agasa

Message:

When you two are done, can Suzume bring some clothes to my place? Ai-kun is trying out a possible cure.

His brows furrowed together at that and he sighed, putting his phone back in his pocket. He didn't get a chance to resume his foot tapping as he saw Suzume walk towards him with a frown and her hands stuffed into her jacket pockets.

He got to his feet and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Still not looking good?" he asked quietly as they left the doctor's office.

She shook her head, not saying a word.

"Well, we need to bring some clothes to Agasa's for Haibara," he said, making her look at him with a raised eyebrow. "She's trying out a cure."

At that, her eyes widened in shock.

~ — — — ~

Agasa opened the door for them with a smile. "I'm sorry to be taking time away from your day," he apologized as he let them inside.

"It's no problem," Hikaru said with an easy-going smile. "Where is she?"

"Ah, she's in her room waiting for the clothes."

Suzume didn't wait for anything else to be said before she went on her way to Ai's room, leaving behind a concerned Hikaru and a confused Agasa.

"What's going on?" the professor murmured to the younger man.

"Doctor's aren't that hopeful," Hikaru replied vaguely, though Agasa understood what he meant almost immediately. "I texted her parents and they said they'd pop in for a week to spend some time with her."

Meanwhile, Suzume knocked on the door. "It's me. I've got some clothes."

The door opened a small bit and Suzume pushed the clothes through the crack, which Ai snatched from her hands and shut the door. A few minutes later, the door opened fully to reveal an eighteen-year-old Miyano Shiho.

Suzume blinked in surprise. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine for now," Shiho answered honestly with a neutral expression. "What took you so long with the clothes? You live right next door."

The Kudo glanced away from her. "Doctor's appointment," she murmured, making the scientist blink.

"...what kind?"

"Gynecologist."

"Oh." Now Shiho felt awkward. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," Suzume sighed, shrugging at her. "It's nothing new for me. I have irregular periods with the longest I've gone without one is almost a year, and the doctor's think my womb is underdeveloped, so I can't have kids if I want them in the future."

Shiho was shocked. She had never seen Suzume speak this much about something so personal yet so casually.

"And let's not forget the insomnia, depression, and PTSD I have," Suzume continued, oblivious to the scientist's inner panic. "And I have no hearing in my right ear because of a jackass stabbing a screwdriver into my ear. So, I am just an amalgamation of fucked up. Any questions?"

Shiho slowly shook her head.

"Good. I'm exhausted, and I need a nap, so I'm gonna go back home and cuddle with my cat," Suzume declared as she turned on her heel to leave. "Oh, and you can keep the clothes for future use."