file 012 | the sunny toyama kazuha

episode 118 — the naniwa serial murder case

"That's the Tennoji Zoo!

"That's the Osaka Dome!

"And this is the Tsutenkaku Tower!" Heiji spread out his arms with a hopeful grin. "Whaddya think? Osaka's nice, huh?"

Ran nodded as Suzume was looking through the binoculars that were set up inside the tower. "Yeah! This is a great view!"

Kogoro was uninterested, looking around. "I dunno, it's no different from the Tokyo Tower..."

"Don't be dumb! Don't compare this with that tasteless red thing!" Heiji complained as Suzume chuckled in amusement as she felt his frustration with the older man. "The Tsutenkaku and the new world all around it are brimming the Osakans' humanity!"

"It's almost like downtown Tokyo!" Ran murmured in amazement.

"How about some food now?" Kogoro asked hopefully.

Heiji raised a hand, glancing at his watch. "Just a little longer! I'm waiting for someone!"

Kogoro held back a groan. "Fine, guess I'll have a smoke," he grumbled, walking off.

Suzume let Ran take her place at the binoculars and went to stand beside Hattori. "What's the real reason you called me to Osaka?" she asked quietly.

He smiled at her. "You're concerned about that?"

"You have another real reason, yes?" she rephrased her question.

Heiji waved a nervous hand. "No, no! There's really no work this time!"

She raised an eyebrow at him. "Heiji..." she trailed off warningly.

He raised his hands in a surrendering gesture as he looked out the window. "I just thought I'd show you guys around Osaka! There's no telling when you'll die, you know?"

She blinked. "What do you mean by that?" she asked, leaning against the railing with her hands in her jacket pockets.

He had a sad smile on his face as he shook his head. "I had a bad dream," he told her. "It happens when we catch a bad guy. But he winds up stabbing and killing you instead."

She chuckled and shook her head. "Your imagination is all over the place, Hattori Heiji," she said, poking his forehead with her index and middle fingers.

He blinked and raised a hand to where she poked him.

"Sorry! Heiji-kun!" someone called out.

Heiji smiled as he, Suzume, and Ran looked at the approaching man. "Oh! He's finally here!"

The man came to a stop in front of them, rubbing the back of his head with a smile. "I'm Sakata of the Osaka Police, Tojiri Station!" He introduced himself. "Sorry for being so late!"

"Why is a police detective here?" Ran asked Heiji as her father rejoined them.

"My old man said that if Mori-han and Suzume's coming to Osaka, they should have a proper tour guide!" Heiji explained before looking back at Sakata. "Where is my old man? He said he was going to stop by."

Sakata leaned in. "The chief is busy in a meeting about the incidents," he said quietly.

Suzume raised an eyebrow as she listened. Incidents?

Heiji acted like nothing was wrong. "So, did you get the car?" he asked the policeman.

"Of course! I did just like you asked and borrowed the Tojiri Station's best one!"