file 010 | the disparagement of irene adler

It had begun to rain, which Ran commented on how hard it was coming down.

"If this downpour keeps up, there's no leaving come tomorrow," Maria said.

"I'm tired from staying up all night, not to mention hungry," Kogoro grumbled.

"Shall I make some coffee and something cold to eat?" Hitomi offered.

Ran looked at her. "I'll help you!"

"I'll come too!" Ikuo said. "I'd be worried if you two girls were all by yourselves."

Suzume hid a smile behind her hand. Ah, Ran can handle herself, but I can appreciate the thought...

"I'll come too," Kento said as they all walked out of the room.

"But if the owner really is the killer, why would he pretend to die and then kill Ayako-san?" Maria asked.

Toshiaki slammed his hands onto the table, getting to his feet with a dark face. "He's enjoying his murder! Have a look at this card!" He held it up. "Had I not been careful I would've been killed!"

Kogoro took the card and looked it over. "If you want the book, then come to the garage at 5 AM tomorrow. I'll put it beneath the back seat," he read it aloud. "It was past 4:30 when the fire started in the garage."

"The back seat? That's where Ayako's body was!" Heiji said.

Suzume looked at Toshiaki. "Where did you get this card?" she asked him.

"It was stuck in my door when I returned from dinner last night," he answered.

"That's it! I figured it out!" Kogoro exclaimed.

"Listen, Mister!" Heiji interrupted him. "How many times do I have to say it?! The owner was dead!"

"Can I really trust what a kid saw?" Kogoro muttered, giving Heiji a side-eye.

Heiji scowled. "What'd you say?!"

Judging from where Ayako-san died, it would seem that she too went to the garage to get the book, Suzume thought to herself, shutting her eyes as she thought. Which means the only remaining mystery of the second incident is how the killer lit the garage on fire while still in the room.

"And it's because of detectives like you that so many cases go unsolved—" Heiji was still going on when Ran interrupted.

"How rude!" she huffed, setting her tray on the table. "With Suzume's help, my dad solves his cases every single time!"

Yeah, but he still has Suzume's help...

The lights suddenly went out.

"A power outage?!" Heiji gasped.

"Was it from lightning?" Ran asked.

"No! It's just a blown fuse!" Hitomi said.

"Then hurry and reset the circuit breakers! Damn it! Now, of all times!" Toshiaki lit a lighter, letting some light in the room. "Here, Miss. Use this light."

Both Heiji and Suzume's eyes widened when they saw something glimmer in the darkness. An ice pick! Toshiaki shouted in pain.

"What's going on?!" Kogoro demanded as there was a crash.

"What's that sound?!" Maria asked.

"Glass," Nanako said.

"Maid!" Ikuo called out.

"Hurry with the lights!" Kento was next.

The lights came back on to reveal Suzume and Heiji holding onto Toshiaki, who had an ice pick stabbed into his arm.