file 027 | a secret reunion

episodes 230—231 — the mysterious passenger

"Did you see that? He just left. The client left with a happy face. He doesn't realize that was his last drink. Isn't that right, Aniki? Aniki? Ah, so that diva's up next? Every time I hear her sing, it sends shivers down my spine. And she's good-looking too. She's your type, isn't she? Hm?"

"Dry martinis for you two. Compliments of the diva."

"Well, that's mighty kind of her."

A cigarette sizzled as it was put into the drink.

"What's the meaning of this?"

"Huh?"

"I asked you what the hell you're doing!" An ice pick was grabbed. "I already know all about you!"

It stabbed a mask.

"Huh?"

"Vermouth."

A feminine chuckle. "I'm just kidding. It was a joke. A joke. Don't get so angry. I was just teasing the guys who have the hots for that diva. That's all."

"Sure, but are you sure this is okay? I mean, you're a famous actress. What if someone saw you with us?"

"Don't worry about it. Everyone's attention is on the diva who's up next."

"Never mind that. Did you find what you were looking for?"

"Well... Not exactly what I was looking for, but..."

"What are you looking for anyway? Don't you think it's about time you tell us where you're at and what you're doing?"

A scoff. "No use asking. This woman never reveals her secrets." With a click, a lighter was held to a new cigarette.

"You just don't understand, do you? A secret makes a woman, woman. A woman becomes beautiful when she has secrets to hide."

"You make me sick."

"Never mind about me. What about you? Did you find that little kitten that got away from you?"

"No. But it won't be long before I do. My nose can sniff out a traitor wherever they are." A chuckle. "And when I do, I'll show them what real fear is. I'll teach both of them, her and that detective of hers."

~ — — — ~

Haibara watched Suzume lean against the cool window of the bus out of the corner of her eye, frowning at the bags under the teenager's eyes. She was unsure of why Suzume had them, but she knew that the teenager was starting to reach her limit. Haibara supposed that she may have to convince the detective's roommate to knock her out when they returned from their ski trip...

"You've been staring at me for the past ten minutes, Haibara," Suzume mused quietly, snapping the shrunken teenager from her thoughts. The Kudo was looking at her with a small, almost amused, smile. "What's on your mind?"

Haibara stayed silent for a moment. "...How much sleep have you been getting?" she asked, making Suzume blink in surprise, not expecting that to be what Haibara wanted to talk about.

"A handful of hours," she answered honestly, seeing no harm in doing so. "It's normal for me. I've got insomnia, so my hours of sleep vary every day."

"You don't take medication?"