file 029 | three athletes, a restaurant opening, and a murder, oh my!

episodes 238—239 — the 3 "k"s of osaka case

"Huh? A restaurant opening?"

Ran looked over at Suzume, who was speaking to someone on her phone with a raised eyebrow. They were at the Mouri Detective Agency with Suzume helping Ran with some of her English homework when the Kudo suddenly received a phone call.

"Yeah, that's right," Heiji's voice came from the phone's speaker clear as day. "Actually, it was my mom and dad that got invited, but they both came down with a cold and said they can't go, so I thought I'd invite you guys. I mean, after all, three famous athletes from America are opening a restaurant here in Japan. Everyone here's so excited!"

"Heiji," Suzume said.

"What is it?"

"Where is this party being held?"

"Over here, of course! In Osaka, where else?"

"I'm sorry, but I'll have to pass," she said sheepishly.

"That was fast," Heiji muttered, though not at all surprised. "Come on, just for a little while."

"Sorry, but there's a case in London that I've been consulting on for a while now," she said apologetically. "It's not going that well, and the police there want me to take another look at what they sent over."

"I can understand that, but don't turn me down so fast," Heiji requested. "You'll be able to see famous athletes in the flesh. There's pro boxer Ricardo Barreira, Mike Norwood the Major Leaguer, and..."

Suzume blinked. "And?"

"Ray Curtis."

Oh, Ran knew that Heiji had their Sky's attention with hook, line, and sinker.

"EH?!"

~ — — — ~

Suzume let Ran adjust her jacket with a fond eye roll before they walked into the restaurant. She was wearing a white button-up blouse with a dark blue suit jacket. Ran had miraculously managed to convince her girlfriend to wear a black skirt, though it went to Suzume's ankles, with black leggings underneath. The Kudo also compromised on wearing a pair of black flats on her feet. She decided when she revealed her outfit to Ran and saw the beaming grin on the martial artist's face that her outfit choice was good.

"I'm still surprised you decided to wear a skirt of all things," Kogoro said as he watched the two girls out of the corner of his eye. "Didn't you threaten to burn your school's uniform skirt in a bonfire two years ago?"

Suzume snorted. "Yep," she replied, not at all ashamed. "I suppose we should head inside?"

Kogoro huffed and walked inside, leaving the two girls on their own to share a glance before shrugging. Suzume held out her arm and Ran looped her arm through the Kudo's as they made their way inside as well.

As they took in the large room and saw the people who were in attendance, Kogoro was in heaven. "Look at that, they're all here! There's Kuraki Mai, Komatsu Miho, and Two Mix, and then, the love of my life, Okino Yoko!"

The actress heard him, turning and giving a happy wave with a smile.

Kogoro returned it with a bashful blush.

Ran glanced up at her father. "Don't talk so loud, Dad!" she chastised. "You're being so obvious."

He gave her a look. "And what about you? You brought an autograph board with you."