file 007 | worst nightmare imagined

episode 3 — an idol's locked room murder case

Suzume sighed, lying on her back on the couch at the Mouri Detective Agency with a towel over her face. Ran walked over with a frown. Ever since they came home from Tropical Land three days ago, Suzume has been more on edge than usual. Ran couldn't put her finger on it, but it couldn't be anything good if Suzume wasn't feeling well because of it.

A buzz from Suzume's phone caught Ran's attention and she went to check. She saw that it was a call from some unknown number and debated on whether to let it go to voicemail or to answer it. On one hand, it could just be some kind of prank call. On the other hand, it could be someone who needs Suzume's help with a case.

With that thought, Ran answered the call. "Hello? Kudo Suzume's phone."

"Is she okay?" a distinct male voice asked almost immediately after recognizing that it was not Suzume who answered. "Where is she?"

Ran startled at the sudden questions, almost dropping the phone. "She's got a headache right now," she told him. "Who is this? I can pass along a message to her when she's feeling better."

The man was silent for a moment, clearly thinking over his options like Ran had before answering the call. "...I'll call back later."

He hung up the call and left Ran to stare at the phone in confusion. She looked over at Suzume, who had pulled a corner of the towel up to watch her. She dropped it when she saw Ran looking at her.

Ran frowned. What was that about...?

"Who was it?" Suzume asked, her voice hoarse. Another sign that she wasn't feeling all too well.

"I don't know," Ran replied, walking back over and setting the phone back where it was previously on the table. "Sounded like he knew you though. Said he'd call back later, so hopefully you're feeling better by then. It sounded urgent."

Suzume frowned. Urgent enough to wait for me to feel better? And it was an unknown caller? She sighed. "More and more questions stacking on top of each other," she murmured.

Ran stared at her friend in concern, wondering what it was that she was so worried about. The doorbell for the detective agency rang, making Suzume sit up with the towel falling onto her lap. She glanced at Ran.

"You weren't expecting anyone, were you?" she asked, on edge.

Ran shook her head as Kogoro went to answer the door. "No. Why?"

Suzume stayed silent when Kogoro suddenly shouted, making her jump in fright. She turned in her seat to see...

"Okino Yoko!" Kogoro practically shrieked at the sight of his favorite actress standing outside the door to his agency.

"That's right," she said softly.

Ran walked around the couch. "No way! What would a celebrity be doing here?"

"Actually, I want to hire you and Kudo-san," Yoko admitted, which had Kogoro dash to his room to freshen his appearance.

Suzume glanced at them as she got up from the couch with an awkward smile. "Give him a minute," she requested quietly.

A minute later, as Suzume said, Kogoro opened the door with a freshly shaven face, a tidy suit, and a red rose in hand, trying to appear charming to the actress. "You appear to be troubled, my dear," he said, making Suzume exchange an exasperated look with Ran.

"Yes." Yoko blinked.

"Why are you like this?" Suzume sighed, hands stuffed into her pockets.

"I'll make drinks," Ran said, walking into the kitchen. Suzume went to open her mouth when Ran interrupted her. "No coffee for you, Suzume!"