file 011 | the origins of the kid killer

episode 76 — conan vs. kaito kid

Ran blinked at Sonoko as rain poured down from the sky, the only thing keeping them dry being the umbrellas they carried. "Kaito 1412?" Ran repeated.

"Yeah! He's an older thief that all the young girls are crazy about!" Sonoko explained with shining eyes.

"Older?"

"Your dad's a detective and Suzume is the Detective of the East and you never heard of him?" Sonoko gasped in shock.

Ran deadpanned at Sonoko. "That doesn't mean I love following crimes," she pointed out as she began to walk away.

Sonoko chased after her. "But hear me out!" she said.

"So you want my dad or Suzume to catch this thief?" Ran asked after Sonoko explained her plans.

"That's right!" Sonoko grinned. "You know Beika Museum's exhibit of world-famous jewels?! Daddy submitted our family gem, the lucky Black Star pearl, and wants it protected from Kaito 1412's evil grasp!"

"But why ask Suzume and my dad and not the police?" Ran asked.

Sonoko frowned. "We can't do that! The police would haul him off if they caught him!" she argued. "But if Suzume catches him, we might just get to see his face!"

"His face?"

"Yeah! Don't you wonder what he looks like?! 1412 has the entire world going crazy! I bet he's a fabulous guy!" Sonoko had a dreamy expression on her face. "Like Harrison Ford or John Lennon..."

Ran sighed at her friend. "You live so happily." The crosswalk light changed colors. "The light's green, Sonoko."

"Coming!" Sonoko wasn't done yet. "It'd be nice if he was like Brad Pitt!"

Ran smiled at her. "Alright, I'll bring it up with Suzume."

"Yay!" Sonoko cheered, throwing a happy fist into the air.

~ — — — ~

"Eh? Kaito 1412?" Suzume repeated and looked up from her computer screen with a frown. "Kaito Kid, the jewel thief?"

Ran nodded. "Sonoko said that her family's Black Star was submitted to Beika Museum and they think he will go after it next." She tilted her head. "What do you think?"

Suzume glanced back at her computer screen where she had a few online articles about Kaito Kid pulled up about his various heists, from some of the older ones from years ago to the more recent. She hummed thoughtfully.

Ah, how about a little change in pace, huh? She smiled and looked back up at Ran's hopeful face. Take a break from the men in black...

"Oh, and I have a copy of a weird warning letter that Kaito 1412 sent to Sonoko's house," Ran remembered, pulling the piece of paper from her pocket and handing it over to Suzume. "It doesn't make any sense! It's like a code!"

Suzume hummed and read it over. "April Fools. When the moon splits in half, I will come to visit the origin of the name of the jet black star at the calling of the waves," she read aloud, a smile appearing on her face. "He's certainly one for riddles, isn't he?" She glanced up at Ran. "Why's it all torn up?"

"Yeah, Sonoko's father tore it up in anger when it arrived then taped it back together," Ran admitted awkwardly.

Suzume smiled and looked back down at the code.

~ — — — ~

Beika Museum, 1:42 PM, March 31st