file 023 | killer last supper

detective conan episode 219 — the gathering of the detectives! kudo shinichi vs. kaito kid

After half an hour of back and forth, it was decided that Hiromitsu would be accompanying Suzume to the given address, not comfortable with her going on her own to someplace with no real known reasons. She let him do this, knowing that he would be comforted by going with her.

They ended up getting a rental car to drive to the address given, not trusting nothing would happen to their personal vehicles. Suzume, however, did get a little pouty when he said she couldn't ride her motorcycle there. He just chuckled and ruffled her hair gently.

As they were getting the rental car ready, one of the workers gave her a cheeky grin and waved a hand. Her face fell flat and she just got into the passenger seat, making him pout and slump forward in disappointment.

It took a few hours of driving for them to finally see the mansion Suzume was invited to for dinner.

"I've got a really bad feeling about that place," he muttered to her, earning a short nod of agreement from her. "Do you have any idea about that child forsaken by God part of the letter?"

She hummed, leaning her cheek against her fist as she stared out at the creepy mansion. "I've got a vague idea," she answered. "Not sure if I'm correct in my assumption or not, though."

They eventually pulled in front of the Midnight Inn, parking next to the other various cars there.

"Looks like we're not the only people here," Hikaru murmured as he shut off the engine. "Benz, Ferrari, Porsche."

Both of them shared a grimace at the last car. Thankfully, it was nothing like his Porsche.

"Don't forget the Alfa Romeo," Suzume pointed at it as they walked up the stairs. "These guys definitely have some money."

Hikaru hummed in agreement as they stopped in front of the large front doors. He knocked on the door and a maid opened it, giving them a bow. "Welcome, Kudo-san, yes?"

Suzume nodded.

"We've been waiting for you. Please come in."

The pair stepped inside and Suzume ran a hand through her hair, which she hadn't bothered to pull back into a ponytail. She felt too lazy to do so before they left the house.

"Please put your umbrellas here." The maid gestured to the umbrella stand next to the door.

Hikaru took both umbrellas and set them in, mentally counting the other umbrellas already there. Quite the number of people here, he mused in his head. "Did you summon multiple detectives up into the mountains?" he asked the maid curiously as he went back to Suzume's side.

"Seven all together," the maid replied. "You are the last to arrive."

"Fashionably late, I suppose," Suzume muttered to Hikaru, who chuckled quietly. "What do you know about the other detectives invited?"

"I have never met any of them before," the maid replied honestly. "I got the list when I came here for an interview to be hired as a maid. But, it was a very peculiar type of interview."

Hikaru tilted his head slightly. "How so?"

"Since it was a high-paying job, people wanting the position crowded over here. When I entered the interview room, all I saw there was a computer, an explanation of the dinner and a list of invitees on the desk. Nobody was in the room. So, having no choice, I started reading the papers as instructed on the PC. Suddenly, I heard a noise. Then I saw the sentence, "You are hired," on the screen of the computer."