Nineteen

ALESSIA AMATO

I head towards the bastard, making my way through the crowded street

I head towards the bastard, making my way through the crowded street. He's by now started tugging at the leash, trying to make the reluctant dog follow him.

"Hey!" I shout to him, in hopes he'll realise me. "Hey you, old man!" I push my way through the last people separating me from him.

The animal is now furiously using his whole body to pull away from its horrible owner. "You little piece of shit. Wait till we get home." He spits at it.

"Excuse me, what do you think you're doing?" I ask.
The man briefly looks at me but doesn't stop playing tug with his dog. "Hello? Are you deaf?" I wave in front of his face, demanding attention. 

"Lady, can't you see I'm busy?" He swats at my hand.

"Yeah, I can actually. Busy doing what you shouldn't be. How can you treat a defenceless animal that way?"

"Oh, trust me, darling, he ain't defenceless." The man grumbles, clearly starting to get fed up. He grabs onto the dog's ear and starts pulling, causing the animal to whine.

"Stop!" I shout, grabbing onto his arm. He pushes me away, so I grab the leash.

"Give me the damn dog back, you crazy lady!" The old bastard grabs my wrist and squeezes forcefully.

"Let go!" I scream, meaning my wrist and the leash.

People are passing by, others are stopping, but no one seems to have a care in the world, seeing as nobody is doing anything. Is a shouting man, a screaming woman, and a whining dog a normal sight to see?

The man suddenly pushes me away so roughly that I stumble back and fall onto my ass with an oomf. Pain shoots through my tailbone and for a moment it's hard to breathe.

"I see you treat every being smaller than you that way, you di-!" I shout with tears in my eyes but I'm cut off by someone throwing themselves at the owner of the poor dog.

The animal tries to scramble away from the fight but I'm still luckily holding onto his leash, so it ends up pulling me to its direction.

"Hey, calm down. Come here." I say in a gentle voice, in case it's frightened of me because of its owner.

Luckily the animal hasn't lost its trust in people, despite its experience with its aggressive owner. It timidly walks up to me, its ears and tail down, although the latter wagging.

"Who's a good boy?" I coo, kneeling down and patting its head.
The dog regains its earlier enthusiasm and jumps on me, licking at my face. "Oh! Hold on!" I laugh.

"Somebody stop him! He'll kill him at this rate!" A woman shouts behind me.

Oh, shit. I forgot someone's fighting the owner. Turning around, I wrap the leash around my hand a couple times to keep the dog close to me. I push past a couple of people and gasp at what I'm greeted by.