Falling Where We Stand

There was a great and choking darkness in the air, one so vile and malevolent that it seemed to poison her every breath and cause the skies to whimper. There was a great and powerful weight on her soul, the weight of the oceans so heavy and overwhelming that she felt as if she might be turned to dust. There was a great and icy fear in her heart, freezing her blood solid with a chill colder than Atlas.

There was a great despair.

"W-who.... Who are you?!" She shouted, fighting through the indescribable terror that permeated through the air. She hadn't a clue who this man was, nor where he had come from. But despite that, she could sense it, even all the way from the ground as he stared down at her from the heavens like a God.

He was dangerous.

"Who am I? What a good question, my dear." The mysterious pale man suddenly leapt from the tower he stood upon, slowly floating down to the ground and landing with a slight gust of wind. He was only about ten meters away from them now, letting Ruby get a better look at him- specifically his unnerving eyes. The lavender crystal in his left and ringed emerald in his right seemed to stare past her, like the sun in how they glowed upon all that walked this earth.

"Don't get any closer, or we'll be forced to assume you are hostile and attack with full force!" Amber was next to raise her voice, clutching her stump where her arm had once been. Blood dripped down her face and body, yet she was still ready to fight on against this mysterious threat.

"That would certainly be a... wise assumption." The man spoke eloquently, his mismatched eyes staring the group of battle weary warriors down without a hint of fear. The group of teens tensed, while Qrow, Amber, and Ironwood stood protectively in front of them.

"The hell are you talking about?! Are you with Cinder?!" The alien-like entity paused, before he began to chuckle as he waved the idea away absentmindedly.

"With all due respect, sir, My being is not to be sullied by a supposed allegiance with any of the foul creatures who walk this earth." The pale man paused, lifting a hand to his chest with a smirk. As he did so, he seemed to stare at Ruby specifically, an odd glint in his eyes as he spoke.

"My name is Sakashiki Otsutsuki, the one who shall take everything from you." Those words rattled all who were present's bones, making them step back in fear. However, it was also the last straw for Ironwood, who's unwavering grit and determination made him the first to act. Immediately, he pointed his pistol at Sakashiki and fired.

A fatal mistake.

Before the bullet could make it even an inch from his gun's barrel, Sakashiki had grabbed it in between two fingers. With such speed that no one could even react, he then formed a miniscule green orb of energy on his index finger and tapped Ironwood on the forehead.

Instantly, he was dead.

The green energy spread over his entire body and vaporized the man completely, the general unable to even scream before his existence was snuffed out. No blood, no gore, just the shining emerald light- and then we was gone.

"Those who are the first to act are either the first or last to die... It seems that he was the former." Everyone else was shaking at this point, their fear too much for them to handle in the face of such an overwhelming foe. Ruby herself was shell shocked, not knowing how to react at all.

'We can't beat him... he- he killed Ironwood just like that... we can't go on, not like this- we- we need to retreat!' But despite her best efforts, the caped crusader couldn't move a muscle. The fear was paralyzing, an overwhelming aura that left her completely immobile. All she could think about were those haunting, damning eyes, ones that threatened to consume her.