Chapter Sixty Four

Location: Bridge, wreckage of Strident-class Frigate 'Hunter's Pride', Forerunner Micro Dyson Sphere, designation 'Sarcophagus'.

John stood at attention, as the doors of the Frigate's bridge closed behind him, ignoring the awkwardness of the situation that had happened mere minutes before.

The situation, of course, being the fight where he, Fol and the unknown cyborg woman had fought against the real traitor on the ship: Ilsa Zane, test subject for all types of Spartan Augmentations since childhood, deranged insurrectionist, and an ally of former Brute Pirate Atriox. The awkwardness came from the fact many people had originally suspected the cyborg of being the culprit, and that she literally had to fight the traitor on her own in order to prove her innocence. Of course, the questionable circumstances surrounding her boarding the ship and her absence during the battle didn't help her case, but it was shameful no one had stood up for her.

Then again, what kind of allies could a mysterious cyborg sent by ONI have on board a ship?

The two members of Fireteam Heracles waited outside, awaiting their turn for the debriefing. The engineers had been sent to a more secure deck, guarded by Marine and ODST fireteams. If anything could be done to repair the ship, those engineers were their only hope of getting off. The Arbiter, the cyborg, and Blue Team, meanwhile, awaited Commander Keyes' word to-

No, Captain Keyes. He had to get used to that. When he'd gone asleep when they had fled the Halo replacement, she had been a commander paralyzed by an injury a mere day before. When he saw her again, a few days later to his senses at least, she had already been promoted to captain and put in command of a ship, much like her father. It was a painful reminder of both Jacob Keyes' fate on the first Halo, and of how much time had really passed outside of the Sphere.

He saluted, as did the rest of Blue Team mere moments after, and Johnson a mere moment after them. The Arbiter merely nodded his head, while the Cyborg moved to lean against the wall, to the disapproval of many on the bridge. The Cyborg, however, didn't seem to care, as she merely unsheathing one of her knives and started sharpening it on her robotic arm

"Captain Keyes." he greeted her.

Keyes, reading a report from her XO, looked up from a datapad with a smile. "At ease, Spartans. I'm not that big on formalities."

The Spartans all relaxed a bit, and from the corner of his eye he saw Johnson move aside a bit.

"Mind telling us where we are, Chief?" Zeus asked, as he appeared on the data pedestal meant for AI's. "Because I can detect no star formations from here to determine where we are."

"A Forerunner Shield World." The Monitor answered, as he suddenly teleported into the room, startling the security forces on the bridge. He continued on, oblivious to the fact ship security had all raised their weapons at him. "Though the official designation for the design is Micro Dyson Sphere, as the Shield World proper is destroyed. It's designation is Sarcophagus, and home of the Didact and his Promethean armies, some of which-."

"Good to see you too, Spark." Keyes interrupted with a smirk, before the Monitor could prattle on any more. The Monitor, briefly nodded in return after a momentary hesitation. "You too, Reclaimer."

Keyes nodded to the Master Chief. "So, a previously unknown Forerunner installation. Anything remarkable so far?"

He took a moment to briefly compose a summary of recent events that happened here. "Yes, Ma'am. We uncovered a rogue Forerunner warlord bent on destroying humanity, as well as his armies of a new type of Forerunner drones, designated Prometheans. They are the same constructs observed in the Hangar bay."