Chapter Fourteen

Armory, Earth Defense Platform Cairo

October 20, 2552

Sergeant Livingston sized up the Master Chief in his new armor. "Well, I guess it was obsolete anyways," he commented. "Your new suit's a Mark VI, just came up from Songnam this morning. Try and take it easy until you get used to the upgrades."

The Master Chief could feel a noticeable difference in his reflex time. He made a few slashing motions, and jumped in place once. Oh yes, there was definantely more speed, and more fluidity to his motions. He also noticed that the HUD was more stream-lined, with the shield gauge placed just above the motion tracker. A miniature blue crosshair shaped like an X was suspended in the very center of his view. He looked at the Gunnery Sergeant and nodded his approval. Next to the Sergeant was a circle with four dull red bulbs around the perimeter, all currently off.

"Okay, let's test your targeting, first thing. Please look at the top light." The top light came on, a bright red washing over the Chief's armor. He craned his head upward, and the light turned green. "Good. Now look at the bottom light." The Chief looked down and the light flashed green. "Alright. Look at the top light again...now the bottom one...okay, good!

"Stand by. I'm going to off line the inhibitors." A series of clicks were heard as the Master Chief walked around half the length of the armory.

"When you're ready, come and meet me by the zapper," Gunnery Sergeant Livingston said.

"Let's go," the Master Chief replied, and followed the Sergeant to the tuning-fork shaped shield charger. He cringed as the memory brought back de'ja'vu as he remembered his rude awakening on the Pillar of Autumn two months ago. He banished the memory, and focus on the Sergeant.

"Pay attention, 'cause I'm only going over this once," Livingston stated. "This station'll test your recharging energy shields. Step on in, I'll show ya." He pointed.

The Chief nodded. He stepped in between the shield generator, and noticed a sign with a handprint on it. Livingston continued speaking: "Your new armor's shields are extremely efficient, very resilient. Much better than the Covenant tech we used for the Mark V." The Master Chief pressed his palm down on the pad and the shield charger whired to life as sickly yellow lights pulsed around him. His shield gave an audible alarm a few seconds later, and started to charge up. Hmm, he thought. They charge up alot faster. This will be invaluable in the future.

"Bingo!" the sergeant exclaimed. "As you can see, they recharge a lot faster!"

John saw the elevator doors part, and Sergeant Avery Johnson stepped out, wearing a crisp white dress uniform filled with various medals and ribbons, along with the standard Marine hat with the black brim. The Gunnery Sergeant seemed unaware of Sergeant Johnson's appearence.

 The Gunnery Sergeant seemed unaware of Sergeant Johnson's appearence