Chapter Thirty Six

Kenyan Jungle, East-Africa, Earth

17-11-2552

John looked around in the darkness, as he thought back to what happened last before he lost consciousness

John looked around in the darkness, as he thought back to what happened last before he lost consciousness. He had felt an intense pain in the back of his neck where...

Cortana!

She must be under some sort of attack of the Gravemind, and her pain, however she might feel it, was extended to him as well. He wondered how such a thing was possible. After all, he was lightyears away, and she had no trace left of herself in his head, except a datachip containing her memory matrix crystal, or whatever the thing was called. But at the moment, he didn't care.

Right now, as he fell, he was listening to her voice, which sounded in his ears instead of from his helmet, as usual.

"They let me pick." she started. She sounded... calm, serene. Like she wasn't under attack at all. But John suspected otherwise. "Did I ever tell you that? Choose whichever Spartan I wanted."

John didn't know this. But he didn't need to. This was way above his usual clearance level, and he knew some things were best left hidden.

"Like the others, you were strong, and brave." Cortana continued. "A natural leader." she paused. "But you had something they didn't. Something no one saw, but me." she paused again. "Can you guess?"

He was about to, but then, the ground really shuddered, and he felt a large crash.

He had landed from his fall from the Forerunner Keyship.

"Luck." he heard. Then, the pain from the crash, combined with the suffering of Cortana he felt, started to overwhelm him. He only heard a final question, as he slipped into unconsciousness.

"Was I wrong?"

stubborn as you and I." Wilson added. "And we don't do bits and pieces."

the Chief nodded, and took the Chip over from Johnson.

"Where is she, Chief?" he asked. "Where's Cortana?"

the Chief briefly looked at the Chip, as in lost in thought. Then he inserted it back into his head. "She stayed behind."

Johnson nodded. "I imagine you'll have a lot of questions, considering it ain't halloween, and yet Wilson's friends have dressed up." the man in question glared at Johnson. "But until we have a quiet place to talk, here's the short version: The Arbiter over here has made his race, along with the Grunts, Hunters and Gasbags rebel against the ugly bastard Truth. Hood, taking inspiration from the propaganda you and Cortana spread, actually offered them a place at our side. The ba-" Johnson paused, aware the beings in question were still within earshot "the beings accepted. And now, we're fighting alongside each other until Truth's stopped. For the rest, wait until we're back at base, and Commander Keyes will catch you up."