Chapter Twenty Three

ONI Prowler, Call Sign 'Hidden Veil', Edge of Sang'Katarn Star System

Six sat back in the Captain's chair, as she looked out at the blackness of Slipspace.

They were approaching Sang'Katarn space, and were about to exit in five minutes. She looked at Fol, who stood ready at the Communication's console in order to transmit the right clearance codes. "So. What welcome can an ONI prowler expect?"

"The same as any UNSC ship: Unless it transmits the right clearance codes in five seconds, it is shot down, and the ship pulled into the planet's atmosphere. The survivors are left to explore the wastelands of the surface, and security prevents them from properly stealing any ship. It has happened before."

Six looked over, a sickening feeling forming in her stomach. Had any UNSC ships been foolish enough to enter this systems's territory?

"Who? And when?" she asked.
"About a year ago." Fol answered. "An ONI Prowler followed one of our ships home after the battle of Meridian. It was shot down before it could jump back into slipspace. It crashed near the ruins of Tah." He paused. "Are you familiar with Spartan Gray Team?"

Six nodded. "Unruly during their training, they were very unruly and individualistic. They attempted to escape often, despite having nothing to return to. After the Augmentations we got, they were deployed as a team due to their... unique skill set. They are often deployed behind Covenant lines, and disrupt things for them. We haven't received word from them for about a year, if I read the right reports about them."

Fol hesitated, and she got up. "You know what happened to them. Don't you?"

Fol nodded. "They were on that Prowler. They survived, and have taken residence in the ruins. But they haven't been able to get off the planet, and refuse to talk with us."

Six nodded. "If they discovered a planet filled with Elites, Brutes and the like they would assume they are hostile. The rest of the species are."

Fol nodded. "I admit I was nervous about your reaction about this. I'm glad you're taking it this well."

Six briefly glanced to the blackness of space, before looking at Fol again. "Any other UNSC assets here I need to know about?"

"Just one." Fol said. "During the war, we managed to capture a Marathon-class Heavy Cruiser."

she reeled back in response. The Navy had been stupid enough to let a Marathon slip through their fingers? Were they mad?

"When did this happen?" Six asked.

"The battle of New Constantinople." Fol answered. "A single Marathon failed to jump in time, and we of Sang'Katarn decided to test our new interdiction technology."

"Interdiction Technology?"

"The Ability to prevent ships from jumping into Slipspace. The experiment was a failure, as it merely delays it, but it suited our purposes. Anyway, we managed to board the Marathon, and I personally cleared the ship. The AI had deleted itself and the navigational core, so to the Mainstream Covenant it was useless, but we managed to procure it after the San'Shyuum had it carted off to be scrapped."

"Didn't they realize the value of that ship? How many systems they could infiltrate?" Six asked.

"You overestimate the wisdom of the San'Shyuum. They assumed it was worthless because it held no data. We managed to... Steal it is the right way to put it. We've brought it up to date with our own technology since then."