Chapter Fifteen

On a box to the Chief's right were a couple of M7 submachine guns, capable of fully automatic fire from a 60 round clip. He stocked up on as much ammo as he could carry, and grabbed two of the SMGs. The Marines referred to this gun as the "bullet hose" because of its ability to spray a ton of lead at a target.

John rounded the corner up ahead. He saw Sergeant Johnson hefting a machine gun over his shoulder. He and the small squad of Marines passed through a door, and he followed.

"How's it going, Malta?" Sergeant Johnson asked the Malta Defense Coordinator over the COM.

"Stand-by..." the voice said, and a resonating clang rocked the Cairo. "They're latched! Check your targets and watch your crossfire."

The voice of the Athens Defense Coordinator crackled next. "They're in standard formation, little bastards in front, big ones in back...good luck, Cairo."

The Chief emerged through the door into a large room, with stairs in front of him that led to a small platform, where the Marines and Johnson were gathered, and there were various terminals to his right. He leaped down into this area, and then leaped through the glass section that led to the floor directly below him, which was similar to the top level. He noticed a bulkhead door overflowing with sparks and heat being burned through. The Master Chief took up a position directly to the right of the door.

"Field of fire on that bulkhead!" Sergeant Johnson called out to the Marines. They promptly raised their weapons to their shoulders. Johnson got the stationary turrent into position and aimed at the bulkhead door. "As soon as that door opens, let'em have it!"

John held both M7s in front of him, ready for the doors to crash open. It only took a few more seconds before fragments of the door exploded. Fire immediately poured in, blue plasma bolts striking at the incoming fire. But the aliens didn't anticipate the Master Chief.

He dived sideways towards the bulkhead from his position, his fingers wildly mashing the trigger. He was rewarded with the deaths of three Grunts and one Elite, who collapsed into puddles of blue and purple blood.

The Chief landed on the other side of the bulkhead, twisting onto his back, M7's at the ready. Another Elite came in and slipped behind one of the various, glass-screened panels. One of the Marines fired at the Elite behind the panel, but the bullets harmlessly splintered and spider-webbed on the glass.

"Concentrate on that door!" Sergeant Johnson ordered, furiously squeezing the turrent's trigger. "The Chief can handle himself!"

John fired at the incoming Elite, but his luck didn't hold; one M7 jammed and the other ran out of ammo. He swore to himself for the careless mistake and made sure it wouldn't happen again. The Elite's shield was weakened, however, so maybe he had an advantage. The Covenant warrior brought its Plasma Rifle over its head, ready to assault the Master Chief.

The Spartan raised up on his hands, extending his foot for a front kick. The boot connected with the Elite's forearm and while it didn't damage its shield, it did stun the beat momentarily and knocked the plasma rifle out of its grasp.

That was all John needed for him to roll away onto his side, unsling his Battle Rifle, and fire two three-round bursts at the target's chest and helmet. The Elite exhaled explosively, blood squirting from its chest wound, as it crumbled to the deck.

"Hell yeah, Chief!" a Marine shouted.

"Advantage? Us!" another remarked.